Day of Week should not be required in Scrub Schedule when Day of Month is specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpsip

Cadet
1) In FreeNAS 11.1, go to Storage -> Scrubs and double-click a Volume to edit its Scrub Schedule (add a schedule if none is presently scheduled).
2) Specify, minute, hour, and "Each Selected Day of Month"
3) Specify one or more days for each month
4) Deselect Sunday and any other Days of Week
5) Select OK

The result is that the Day of the Week is required. What if I only want to scrub once or twice a month on specified days of the month (e.g., 1st and 15th) so that no two volumes are scrubbed the same days; and the scrubs don't run on the same days as SMART tests are scheduled? According to the 11.1 documentation at Section 8.5: the Day of Week field
Code:
and the Day of Month field are ORed together: setting Day of Month to 01,15and Day of week to Thursday will cause scrubs to run on the 1st and 15th days of the month, but also on any Thursday
. I don't think this is what most users expect. See, e.g., https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...rt-and-scrub-tests-be-done.44089/#post-468597

Am I misunderstanding the documentation?

cdiddy

Dabbler
I agree, I also found that schedule selection interface to be confusing. I have mine set to the first minute of the first hour of the 28th day of the month. Every day of the week and every month of the year is checked so that it will always run on the 28th at 1:01 AM, regardless of what day or month it is. If you take this setup and un-check Wednesday, it will skip the scrub if the 28th happens to fall on a Wednesday. Also why I picked the 28th, so it wouldn't skip the scrub in February. Not too complicated once I came to terms with how it's designed.

What I haven't figured out how to do is something like "Last Sunday of the month," I don't think that would be possible in this interface.

rpsip

Cadet
If you take this setup and un-check Wednesday, it will skip the scrub if the 28th happens to fall on a Wednesday.
If that's the way it works, then the documentation is incorrect because you're saying the operation is an AND. The documentation says OR and the example it provides is clear that if set that way, the scrub will be run every day other than Wednesday and also on the 28th day of every month! If the documentation is correct, I think the UI only needs to be changed to not REQUIRE the user to set the Day of Week field.

What I haven't figured out how to do is something like "Last Sunday of the month," I don't think that would be possible in this interface.

Sure it can. The last week of the month is the 22nd to the 28th. Select day numbers 22-28, but only select Sunday in days of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.