Dataset/Share permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berrepoot

Cadet
Hi all,

A few days ago I installed FreeNAS 9.10.2. After a problem with a broken usb flash drive the installation went smooth.
I'm a noob in Linux/FreeBSD so I use the web interface as much as I can. So far I've been able to configure everything untill now...
My goal is to make SickRage, CouchPotato, SABnzbd and Plex work but also to create a share for all the media files.

I've created a volume "volZ" with 3 datasets:
  • images (just a share with a lot of images) :smile:
  • jails
  • media
In de media dataset I've created the following directories:
  • TV (with all the TV shows)
  • Movies (with all the movies)
  • Downloads (working directory)
    • complete
    • incomplete
    • scripts
I've configured the default jail settings and installed several plugins in the "jail" dataset
For each plugin/jail I've created a storage to the dataset "media"
jail_storage.png
To make the plugins work I had to set the permissions on the dataset "media" like this:
media_permissions.png

I also want to be able to see the media dataset from all my other pc's in my network (windows 7 home + pro and windows 10)
To do that I've created a windows share (SMB) and checked "Apply Default Permissions"
media_share.png

I've created a new user, added the user to the group media and made a network drive with those credentials.

Now "everything" seems to work correctly BUT I want more :smile:

I have several problems but I think they are all related to 1 bigger problem having something to do with permissions.
I've read several posts but since I'm new to all of this I don't understand what's wrong.
  • In SABnzbd there is an option "Permissions for completed downloads:". when I set this to 777 I always get an error message after each download ("unable to change permissions...")
    I've cleared this option so "problem solved" for now...
  • Currently all my media files are located on an old QNAP device. I've tried to copy these to the media dataset. I've mounted the QNAP share and used rsync but for each directory/file I got a message: "chmod failed ... permission denied"
    I've added to argument no--perms to complete this task
  • Now I want to install the NZBtoMedia scripts
    Shell_nzbToMedia.jpg
    Again I get the message: Operation not permitted

I've read that this has something to do with the fact that "media" is also a windows share?
How can/should I configure my permissions in order to make this work? Or am I missing something else??

Thanks!

Attachments

• media_permissions.png
    media_permissions.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 427

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hey,

I am also struggling around with permissions, as I want to have a secure system and use it very comfortable. First of all, I would say that using root as the owner of you data is a bad idea. Using root should only be done, when you really need it (like crewating a dataset). If you create a user calles "data" or something familar, you have always the possibility as root, to change the files etc, even when you have done something worse like setting permission to 070 and you are not in the primary group ;)
So that also makes your system more secure when you work with another user.
To come to your questions. Please check in Windows the permissions on the share, as SAMBA converts windows permissions to unix permission. Its also recommended to set the permission to "Windows" not to Unix when you use a Windows share. This allows you to configure them, even if you are unexperienced and so on. I have read, that other users do this different. Nevermind if you perfectly know what you are doing ;)
Could you maybe show the permissions set to the folder, in which you want to install? Use
Code:
ls -lisa

Maybe I can help you a little bit.

(I set up my box in a few seconds, but struggling around with permissions for days... xD )

Status
Not open for further replies.