AMD 3950x
Asus PRO WS X570 Ace
Kingston 128GB ECC DDR4 3200
Asrock M2 VGA Siliconmotion SM750
Gigabyte 5700xt Gaming OC
Intel x520-DA2
Sun Oracle 375-3609-03 HBA
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1

I created a new pool on my system a few days ago, and migrated datasets from Pool1 to my new pool, Tank. I did this using the ZFS snapshot command, then sending the snapshot to the new pool. This worked wonderfully, as all the datasets were copied onto my new pool.

All the datasets except one, are shared via SMB, and have permissions set so user "home" can access them. The one dataset that cannot be access by home, is for another user. Today I tried to login to that other dataset using the other user "docs", and it was rejected. I checked the permissions and they are correct. The dataset user and group, are properly set to the user docs. I tried to recursively apply the permission so docs:docs should have access to the dataset without success. Strangely, if I change the permission to home:home, recursively, I can access the dataset via smb just fine.

So I tried to make a new dataset, and found that no matter what I do any new dataset on this new Pool, Tank, can only be accessed via SMB by user "home". A few dataset with the permission assigned to any user other than "home", aka "docs" will not work.

I'm honestly stumped and can't figure out what is going on here.

The other thing to note is, I had snapshots of Pool1 taken nightly, and sent to a backup disk. This disk has all the correction permissions, and correctly allows "docs" to access the single dataset it is assigned, and "home" the remainder of the datasets.

Is something wrong with my new pool, Tank?

boggie1688

Explorer
Actually some how managed to fix this.

Turned of SMB services, and went through each data set making sure it was set to NFSv4. Then went through all the permissions and reapplied everything. Turned SMB back on, and it seems to be working.