SOLVED Dataset permission best practice in windows environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrick

Explorer
Hi All,

Just re purposed a supermicro server with the following
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U4 (27ae72978)
  • Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
  • 16327MB
  • 1 dataset
    4 x 2Tb disk raidz2
The dataset is configured for windows and freenas is domain joined. I have set the owner (user) of this dataset to a domain admin user and the owner (group) to wheel.

Just looking for re assurance this configuration is good going forward and shouldn't cause difficulties if I need to import dataset due to rebuild or have problems. Is this considered best practice when used in a windows environment?

Look forward to replies and being educated

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi All,

Just re purposed a supermicro server with the following
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U4 (27ae72978)
  • Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
  • 16327MB
  • 1 dataset
    4 x 2Tb disk raidz2
The dataset is configured for windows and freenas is domain joined. I have set the owner (user) of this dataset to a domain admin user and the owner (group) to wheel.

Just looking for re assurance this configuration is good going forward and shouldn't cause difficulties if I need to import dataset due to rebuild or have problems. Is this considered best practice when used in a windows environment?

Look forward to replies and being educated

For the most part, you can treat the freenas server and administer it like a Windows server (i.e. through "computer management"). The user / group you manipulate from the FreeNAS UI behavior-wise to "CREATOR-OWNER" and "CREATOR-OWNER GROUP" in the windows world. When you are fine-tuning permissions on your shares, you will need to determine for yourself whether "CREATOR-OWNER" - Full Control is appropriate for your environment. As a matter of course, I add a separate ACE for "Domain Admins - Full Control" once I have the shares configured.

berrick

Explorer
Thanks Anodos. This is what I am doing

Status
Not open for further replies.