SOLVED Dataset in pool not taking all available size

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinDeus

Explorer
Hello all,

I have a bit of a question here. I recently replaced a failed drive with a larger one (2T to 4T), which lead me to a pool (RaidZ1) consisting of 4 drives (3 * 2T, 1 * 4T). The resilvering was flawless, my pool is now slightly larger - so far so good.

However, I noticed that my main dataset is not taking all the available size granted by the pool. Here is a snapshot to illustrate that (note that both my pool and my dataset share the same name - nordic mythology, if you ask):

Snap 1.PNG

While the pool has a size of roughly 7.2 TiB, the dataset has only a mere 1 TiB available on a total of 5.1 TiB.

My question is: where is all this extra space? Why isn't the dataset showing the same storage stats as the pool?

Just to clarify this point, I did not set any ratio nor limit on this dataset:

Snap 2.PNG

I am currently on build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355 (latest at the moment).

danb35

Hall of Famer
My question is: where is all this extra space? Why isn't the dataset showing the same storage stats as the pool?
Parity, mostly, with some filesystem overhead and other stuff thrown in. The first entry reflects the raw capacity of your pool. It's effectively 4 x 2 TB (RAIDZ vdevs are limited by the capacity of the smallest disk), so 8 TB or 7.2 TiB. The second entry is the dataset that's automatically created with any pool (and has the same name as the pool), and it's showing what's actually usable, after parity and other overhead is subtracted. A RAIDZ1 vdev of 4 x 2 TB disks has a usable capacity of about 3 x 2 TB = 6 TB or 5.4 TiB. Your capacity is showing about 5.1 TiB, so this is pretty close. The remainder is filesystem overhead and such.

SinDeus

Explorer
I see! Thanks for the heads-up.
So, if I understand correctly, my pool will only grow bigger once I have replaced all my drives with 4TB ones?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes ;)

SinDeus

Explorer
Damn. This will cost me a few bucks, then. Well, thank you for time and answers!

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, if I understand correctly, my pool will only grow bigger once I have replaced all my drives with 4TB ones?
More accurately, once you've replaced all your disks with something larger than 2 TB.

SinDeus

Explorer
Yep, that's what I understood - I just took a little shortcut by saying that. Thanks for pointing that out for future readers of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.