Data Migration / New Drives

djdwosk97

Patron
I'm going to be upgrading my array shortly, although I haven't decide what route to take.
  1. I'm deciding between adding a single 8TB WD Elements onto my current setup (3x 4TB CMR Reds, 1 4TB HGST, and 2x 1TB Blues all JBOD) and removing the two 1TB WD Blues.
  2. Adding five 8TB WD Elements in RaidZ2 leaving either one of the 1TB or 4TB drives behind as a scratch disk.
Obviously Z2 is preferable to JBOD, but I'm undecided on whether I'm ready to spend the $700~ it would cost and the data isn't irreplaceable.

My motherboard only has six SATA ports and the server is located in a remote location, so if I choose to go down the route of Z2, then I was planning on moving the 3x 4TB Reds and 1x1TB Blue onto my SYBA SI-PEX 40064 Sata controller and straight up removing the other 1TB Blue (which has nothing on it). Then adding the 5x 8TB Elements directly to the motherboard SATA ports and copying the data off the drives connected via the SYBA Sata controller onto the array. But will I run into any issues with moving drives from the onboard SATA ports to the PCIE Sata controller? Do I need to do anything special?

Any other thoughts/comments?

P.s. My plan to keep the Elements (1 or 5) is predicated on me successfully enabling TLER. Is there anything else I should be on the look out for with keeping the Elements?

P.p.s. Two of the Reds have 50k LCCs, which is a bit less than ideal, while all three Reds have over 5 years of power on hours, which is one of the other reasons I'm considering getting five new drives.