8TB WD Easystores still Reds/Whites?

djdwosk97

Patron

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think the easy store drives are still the reds/whites. They all have the 3.3v pin which can be a problem for some power supplies.

The element drives are not and have never been red/whites.

djdwosk97

Patron
I think the easy store drives are still the reds/whites. They all have the 3.3v pin which can be a problem for some power supplies.

The element drives are not and have never been red/whites.
I thought only some had the 3.3v pin.

also, it looks like my RM650x does have a problem with 3.3v:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ePtg4P59SXn2CHc6hTcuRAd0pafXHaXEcZf5GAAiYvA/htmlview

Other than the potential 3.3v pin issue, is there any flashing required to use a White?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I thought only some had the 3.3v pin.

also, it looks like my RM650x does have a problem with 3.3v:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ePtg4P59SXn2CHc6hTcuRAd0pafXHaXEcZf5GAAiYvA/htmlview

Other than the potential 3.3v pin issue, is there any flashing required to use a White?
No they are normal drives, no flashing. I also wouldn't call the 3.3v thing an issue. If I remember correctly it's just following the modern standard that newer psu's should also be following.

I have about 10 easy store drives in my system right now. Combo of red and white

djdwosk97

Patron
No they are normal drives, no flashing. I also wouldn't call the 3.3v thing an issue. If I remember correctly it's just following the modern standard that newer psu's should also be following.

I have about 10 easy store drives in my system right now. Combo of red and white
Based on the google doc link, it looks like the Corsair rm 650x doesn’t work with 3.3v — assuming it’s accurate in the first place, which may not be the case — it’s just the only info I was able to find with a cursory search.

So, assuming it is true, it is a bit of an issue that I’d have to work around (taping pins/moles to sata).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Having kept an eye on this for a little while, it seemed like it was in fall of 2018 when white drives seemed to start replacing the Reds in the easystore enclosures. I got a bunch on Black Friday 2018 and I think only one was a red, maybe two?

djdwosk97

Patron
Having kept an eye on this for a little while, it seemed like it was in fall of 2018 when white drives seemed to start replacing the Reds in the easystore enclosures. I got a bunch on Black Friday 2018 and I think only one was a red, maybe two?
They're effectively the same though from what I've gathered. So it shouldn't really matter -- assuming I can figure out the pinout of my PSUs SATA cables.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
They're effectively the same though from what I've gathered. So it shouldn't really matter -- assuming I can figure out the pinout of my PSUs SATA cables.

Seems to be the same drive, but the white labels are not eligible for warranty outside the shell, whereas the Reds *might* be.

dir_d

Explorer
I have bought recently the 6TB, 8TB and 10TB. The 6TB were blues 8TB and 10TB are whites as of Christmas 2019.

djdwosk97

Patron
Seems to be the same drive, but the white labels are not eligible for warranty outside the shell, whereas the Reds *might* be.
The whites shouldn’t be any less eligible for warranty than Reds. In both cases you pulled the drive out of the enclosure and they’ll either accept a warranty (rightly), or try to pretend that warranty void sticker behavior is legal. In either case, you’re playing the odds.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The whites shouldn’t be any less eligible for warranty than Reds. In both cases you pulled the drive out of the enclosure and they’ll either accept a warranty (rightly), or try to pretend that warranty void sticker behavior is legal. In either case, you’re playing the odds.

You can try.

The drives are sold as a component of a larger product. Ford doesn't offer a warranty on the engine you pull out of an F-150, only the complete thing.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The reds don't have to have the 3.3v "workaround" done on them to be compatible with some PSU's.

djdwosk97

Patron
You can try.

The drives are sold as a component of a larger product. Ford doesn't offer a warranty on the engine you pull out of an F-150, only the complete thing.
They can't however deny your warranty because you touched the engine. Or more aptly, they can illegally deny the warranty and you'd win in small claims court. But the same issue applies to shucked reds.

Last edited: