CRITICAL: The boot volume state is DEGRADED:

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustersnm

Dabbler
Hello All,

I have the following error:

CRITICAL: The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

I have two scandisk cruzer fits mirrored, so i guess one of them has gone bad. How do i know which is the one that is bad? I would hate to pull the wrong one out.

Thanks.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hello All,

I have the following error:

CRITICAL: The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.

I have two scandisk cruzer fits mirrored, so i guess one of them has gone bad. How do i know which is the one that is bad? I would hate to pull the wrong one out.

Thanks.
What ports are the flash drives connected to?
The boot drive listed as ada0 should be in your motherboards primary USB port
but without you having listed any other information it's gonna be hard to tell.
There's not a whole lot that go wrong if you pull the wrong flash drive. Your boot
mirror has nothing to do with your data/pool.
Example: If one flash drive is connected to the type A onboard port, it's most likely gonna
show as ada0.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Typically USB boot devices will be in "daN", @BigDave , not "adaN".

The original guy should do "zpool status -v" at his command line, and presumably this will tell him if da0 or da1 has taken the proverbial shit, then, he will have to pluck one out using guesswork. If the good one still stays online, well then, he chose wisely. He may also need some combination of "gpart list" and "camcontrol devlist", as well.

bustersnm

Dabbler
@BigDave Thank you for your reply. One is listed as da8p2 and the other is 90853422370551426.. One is plugged into the motherboard and the other is in the front panel.

the 908... is the one showing unavailable. Should i try moving it to another slot or test it on a different pc? either way i have ordered 2 more 1 for backup and one to replace the unavail.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@BigDave Thank you for your reply. One is listed as da8p2 and the other is 90853422370551426.. One is plugged into the motherboard and the other is in the front panel.

the 908... is the one showing unavailable. Should i try moving it to another slot or test it on a different pc? either way i have ordered 2 more 1 for backup and one to replace the unavail.
While you wait for replacements, try posting the results here of <zpool status> from the CLI.

bustersnm

Dabbler
@BigDave Hope this is what you are looking for.

Code:
errors: No known data errors                                                 

pool: freenas-boot                                                         
state: DEGRADED                                                             
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
        the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.                
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.        
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q                                   
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h9m with 0 errors on Thu Sep 24 03:54:59 2015   
config:                                                                      

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKS
UM                                                                           
        freenas-boot                                    DEGRADED     0     0 
          mirror-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0 
            gptid/6062b193-f195-11e4-839d-0cc47a3419ac  ONLINE       0     0 
            9085342237055142690                         UNAVAIL      0     0 
0  was /dev/gptid/60c3b7d1-f195-11e4-839d-0cc47a3419ac                      

errors: No known data errors 

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Typically USB boot devices will be in "daN", @BigDave , not "adaN".
Thanks for that info, I confess my experience with my X9 board has always listed boot drives as "adaN" and the only X10 board
I own is the Wife's windoze machine.
@BigDave Hope this is what you are looking for.
Yes that's it.

@DrKK has given the best answer without question, he's much more knowledgable than I. **BigDave bows low to DrKK**

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I confess my experience with my X9 board has always listed boot drives as "adaN
That's expected, for stuff hanging from SATA controllers. ada stands for ATA Direct Access.
da is just Direct Access, with SCSI being implied. The USB mass storage stack uses the SCSI backend, hence the da.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
That's expected, for stuff hanging from SATA controllers. ada stands for ATA Direct Access.
da is just Direct Access, with SCSI being implied. The USB mass storage stack uses the SCSI backend, hence the da.
Thanks Eric :cool:
I learn every day in this place :)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Thanks Eric :cool:
I learn every day in this place :)
I will say, Dave, that you have come a long way in a short period of time, and are becoming one of our most helpful people in the forum.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I will say, Dave, that you have come a long way in a short period of time, and are becoming one of our most helpful people in the forum.
Coming from you Sir, that means alot :D
My efforts pale when compared to the contributions offered by the core of individuals (of which, you are an integral part) who freely
give of themselves in this awesome forum. Giving back to this community (that has taught me so much), is my delight and pleasure ;)

hansmuff

Dabbler
I've had some flash drives fail spectacularly very early in their life. That thread is here for reference and in it I mention the drives I have replaced my old ones with.
So far so good, they've been running for 5 months without issue (24x7 operation.) I'm posting this in case you are looking for some recommendations for replacements.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"glabel status" should give you gptids to devices. Just find out which is which and you'll be able to identify the failed drive.

Another idea is to do do a dd write to the boot device and see if one drive's LED doesn't blink. That's the bad one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.