Critical Alert -

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz2craazy

Cadet
I got this message today. The machine has been running fine for several weeks. The only thing I was doing before I noticed the message was maping a network drive on desktop PC to the freenas machine. It could have occured before this though, I'm not sure.

CRITICAL: The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected

Here is what I got from the shell:

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 51
da6p2 ONLINE 0 0 102

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

//usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h.old

Any suggestions?

bestboy

Contributor
Looks like the boot device you are using for the FreeNAS OS is dying and ZFS could not avoid the data loss (single drive - there was no redundancy).
If the boot device is a USB stick, then that's not too usual. They are known to break - especially the cheap ones. You should replace it ASAP with a fresh copy of FreeNAS (preferably on 2 new USB sticks that are mirrored to avoid this issue in the future).

Your data pool should be safe and unaffected by this for now.

danb35

Hall of Famer

zz2craazy

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. The USB I am using is a brand new PNY. Do you recommend any better brand/size? I will look into the mirrored setup, but would I be better off just getting a small ssd? I want the safest setup to avoid having to do this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sandisk seems to have a good reputation, but USB sticks really are a crap shoot. A small SSD or SATA DOM would likely be rather more reliable.

Sakuru

Guru
The Sandisk Cruzer Fit seems to be popular around here.

sirjorj

Dabbler
My NAS has been doing this from the beginning. I haven't seen any problems with it, so I haven't been too concerned. It had a brand new USB stick, so it's strange that it has issues so quickly. Since I am using all my SATA ports for storage, I will need to go with another USB drive. Also, since USB3 is working again, I should go that route. For USB 3.0 ports, my mobo has 2 external ones, 1 internal one, and a pin header that looks to be able to break out to 2 more. I ordered this and this to split the header into 2 ports (I only need one but it wouldn't hurt to have a spare) and a couple of these so I can have a redundant boot volume.

sirjorj

Dabbler
Just a followup to my last post here.

My order arrived today and int getting the new boot volume set up, i noticed a few things.
With both the short pins-to-dual-USB and the one with longer cables, only one port worked. I tested this by plugging in a USB flash drive with an activity light, and the light only flashed on one of the ports.
Kind of a bummer, but no big deal - i can just use one port on the adapter, and the USB3 port thats already on the motherboard. My first choice was to use the shorter adapter, but on install, it got some read or write issues. I stopped it, reseated the parts, and tried again. This time, it made it through install, but the issues returned during the first boot.
I then tried the adapter with the longer cables and successfully installed to both flash drives as well as actually boot the system!
In restoring the configs from the previous install, it said it couldn't because the current version was out of date. Ok, update the system, reboot again, load previous, reboot, and... success! System is now up and running with 2 internal USB boot drives and the alert light is green!

Status
Not open for further replies.