Creating users from CLI with home folder on boot drive

exee

Cadet
I am quite new to TrueNAS, but am somewhat familiar with linux and am running into some problems with adding users to the underlying Debian system.

I am currently running TrueNAS-SCALE-21.02-ALPHA.1. I have a large boot drive and wanted to run some cli programs on the NAS as it is up mostly 24/7. I ssh-ed into the Trunas install from a sudo user added from the user interface. Then added a new user and created a home folder on the base system. After a reboot my new user has disappeared though it seems that the home folder is still as it should be.

When I updated from the last ALPHA version a folder created in /home was wiped during the install.

So I guess i am asking for best practices to create users / user storage on the boot drive that is persistent past reboots / upgrades.

Thanks!

stavros-k

Patron
I don't think there is a way to do anything on boot drive to persist reboots/upgrades. TrueNas is not designed to do that.
Better choice would be to buy a new small boot drive and use your large drive as a pool.

exee

Cadet
Interesting. What about shrinking the boot drive with gparted then adding a single partition pool with the new partition and using it for home folders through the web interface? That should get me to a close approximation.

shadofall

Contributor
yeah. nothing on the boot drive is going to persist past an upgrade, and any manual changes made using normal shell commands wont persist past reboot usually.. throw your home folders on the data pools.