Creating user directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
My understanding is that all changes made from the shell will be lost? If that is the case what is a preferred way to create a bunch of users directories? I have created
a data set "home" of 3TB on the RAID-Z2 volume which I want to be split among 30 or so user accounts. Once LDAP/TLS issues are fixed on 9.2.2. user account info should be populated from by LDAP but I still need to create home directories on FreeNAS which is suppose to host those accounts. Also how does one remove a directory (of course I can go to command line and remove it but I am afraid that the change is going to be lost on the reboot).

P.S. I am not planning on rebooting my beasts and I have plenty of backup power sources but things happen.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Creating folders on your pools/datasets will not be lost at reboot, even if done via shell/ssh.

Reactions: Oko

Oko

Contributor
Thank you ser_rhaegar. That was very helpful.

joelmusicman

Patron
My understanding is that all changes made from the shell will be lost?

That's not quite accurate. Any file changes will be persistent, but if you close a shell with a process running (to include software installs) it will kill the process under most circumstances. Use tmux if you need a persistent session.

Status
Not open for further replies.