Help Issues with user permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGenetic

Contributor
Dear all,

I want to make one file server , which similar with this thread " http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/issues-with-user-permissions-and-dot-file.20431/ "

if it's possible to make user permission like that thread , via web gui freenas 9.2.1.7 ?
I try to make one .. but the result same with what happening on that post

here the post :

Angelos Pitsos, Apr 24, 2014

Hi all,

I need your help on something that has to do with user permissions. In addition I have issues with some "dot files" that appeared on each user's home directory. I will try to make it as clear as possible.

Let's see first a schematic draft:
FreeNAS-schematic-client-storage-scenario.jpg

I need FTP accounts for a few users, that will be controlled by another user (let's call him administrator). Let's suppose that someone of the company (administrator) wants to use this storage for exchanging large files with other people outside company (collaborators). Let's call them just users.
  • The administrator needs to have r/w access to all folders
  • Users should have r/w access to their folders only and probably to a common one
  • Users, considering they all are different collaborators, should not be able to "read" directories of other users and the company's root directory
  • We need to have access via FTP and CIFS (Windows)
What I have done:
  1. I have setup a ZFS Dataset.
  2. I have created a group called "company" (probably "company" is not the real name).
  3. I have created the administrator and assigned him as "home directory" the company's root directory. There it was created automatically a directory with his username containing 8 "dot files" (.cshrc / .login / .login_conf / .mail_aliases / .mailrc / .profile / .rhosts / .shrc).
  4. I connected via FTP using the above "administrator" and created directories for each of the user.
  5. I have created each of the three users and assigned him the relevant directory as home. Each user belongs to the same group (mentioned on #2).
  6. I did nothing regarding the common directory yet, as I am facing serious issues with their privileges until here.
The problems I have:
  1. Each user can navigate himself at levels above his home directory! Thus he is able to "see" contents of the other directories.
  2. Each user can have access to any (!) directory. Even on the other user's directories.
  3. The "dot files" mentioned above are annoy for the users and most probably they shouldn't be able to see them.
What I tried to do in order to solve the problem:
  1. I tried to create the user and assign him on a different group but giving as home directory the same one (company/user1). Nothing changed! He still can have access to other directories.
  2. Regarding the "dot files" I spent hours searching and following solutions offered from the forums, but with no luck. I read carefully the following threads:
I am really stuck with all these. I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot in advance for your attention and your time!
Angel

Regards,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Don't share the same dataset via ftp and CIFS simultaneously. That is a recipe for disaster. Do CIFS and configure a VPN for remote users. Setting up permissions is simple.
Create 1 dataset per share.
Set acltype to Windows and owner to your admin user / group.
Create shares
Configure share permissions through a windows workstation (via the security tab).

Status
Not open for further replies.