SOLVED Creating triple mirror

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
Hi!

Just wanted to check before I build. I have 6 4TB drives that will host a pool for a vmware datastore. My plan is to build a pool of 3 mirrored sets. The trick is H have 2 disks I want to make sure they are not in the same set so what would be the procedure to build this pool?
I have 1 wd red, 3 ironwolf and 2 toshiba desktop disks (these I want to keep on separate)
So what I want is something like
IW+Tosh
IW+Tosh
IV+WDR

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
Do I create 3 separate mirror vdevs with the disk combos I want, and then create a pool from those 3 vdevs rather than from disks?
Or do I create a mirror pool from two disks, then expand it by 2 disks at the time?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You can create the pool in one shot from the shell: zpool create tank mirror <IW1 drive ID> <TS1 drive ID> mirror <IW2 drive ID> <TS2 drive ID> mirror <IW3 drive ID> <WD1 drive ID>.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
You can create the pool in one shot from the shell: zpool create tank mirror <IW1 drive ID> <TS1 drive ID> mirror <IW2 drive ID> <TS2 drive ID> mirror <IW3 drive ID> <WD1 drive ID>.
Doesn't look to complicated, but I'd prefer to do it in the GUI to avoid screwing up due to mistyping something.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler

Tried the shell and getting loads of error messages: Each disk seems to get 2 lines:

The primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
Using the secondary instead, recovery strongly advised.

All but one were pulled from my previous NAS, an Xpenology machine running BTRFS.
No new pool shows up under storage after this.

Samuel Tai

Yes, you'll need to go to Storage->Disks, and run a quick wipe on these disks to get rid of any previous GPT partitioning.

Samuel Tai

The Guide, Section 10.2.1, shows how to create the pool from the GUI. Select 2 drives, and click the arrow to move them over to the data VDEV section, and select mirror as the VDEV layout. Then click the Repeat button to create a new mirror VDEV section for the next 2. Click Repeat again for the final mirror VDEV section.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
Thank you again, as always helpful and patient. :)
I did some RTFM:ing and figured it out.
As you said I went to each unused disk and wiped them. Then from the GUI created the mirror pool of the first two disks I wanted. Then selected repeat 2 times. After that I used the arrow keys to move the disks in and out of each mirror until I had the layout I wanted. Working fine now.

Last edited: