Disk Format (4K/512) & Cold Spare Disks

NugentS

MVP
I think I have made a mistake and have only just realised. I think to fix it will involve rebuilding my main 4 * Mirrored 12TB disk pool. Annoying, but not a disaster. What's rather more annoying is that I have just done exactly this (rebuilt the pool), following my recent cockup

The pool is currently made up of 12TB Exos drives, that (cos I could) I formated 4Kn. I did this mostly to see how and if it made any difference (not that I could tell)

I also have some spare disks. 1 Seagate Exos, 2 Toshiba N300 12TB and a couple of HGST disks off ebay (and thoroughly tested). The thing is I haven't worked out how to format the Tosh's to 4Kn, and I am reasonably certain I can't for the HGSTs (and I have tried, briefly)

ashift is a vdev wide property, so I cannot (AIUI) mix a 4Kn with a 512e formatted disk in the same vdev - which makes my spares - err useless.

The only solution I can see is to trash the pool, reformat each disk to 512e, rebuild & restore.
I shall re-investigate the Tosh and HGST formats, but its not looking hopeful based on my previous attempts

Unless anyone has a better idea?

Hmm - posting this brought up a previous thread of mine. https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/replacing-4kn-disks.98360/ that I had forgotten about

Last edited: