Creating a backup pool on a new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I'm trying to set up a rolling offsite backup. More importantly, I'm trying to backup all of my data before a big move in the next week or so as the server will be coming down and I just want to be safe and create another backup.

I've looked over the forums and decided on ZFS send and receive. So far I've successfully been able to replicate to a drive. I just removed that drive and put another in for a second disk to be used as an offsite backup.

My question is if I'm creating this drive right from the start.

I put the drive in (I don't have an eSATA enclosure yet (my hot-swap bay isn't working for some reason) So I've been shutting down, putting a drive in and booting back up. (I don't want to use USB) In the GUI I clicked volume manager to add the new disk. It gives me the following options:

Strip
Log
Cache
Spare

I chose stripe last time but I feel like that might be a mistake and get me into trouble. I want to be able to perform scrubs on these drives as a matter of course before and after the backup process so I believe I need a ZFS filesystem but the word stripe scares me.

Since I disconnected the last backup drive I've got a critical error (I guess this could be expected)

So the question is: how do I create a volume (Is that the correct term) on this new disk to be used for backup?

hope that made sense... Thanks for the help

Rob

danb35

Hall of Famer
Stripe is the only way to create a single-disk pool. You can still scrub it, though since there isn't any redundancy, ZFS won't be able to correct any errors it finds.

rwslippey

Contributor
Stripe is the only way to create a single-disk pool. You can still scrub it, though since there isn't any redundancy, ZFS won't be able to correct any errors it finds.
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay... for some reason taptalk didn’t indicate anyone had replied.

Ok so I’m on the right path than? For this second drive I chose advanced to create the pool.

Still showing critical error because that drive is missing Even though I exported it before disconnecting.

Is it normal to see the critical error?

Will it still alert me to new errors?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwslippey

Contributor
What "critical error"? What does it say?
Up on the right hand corner of the GUI. Red light and critical

rwslippey

Contributor
Yes, I know where the alerts are shown. What is the error message? It says more than just "critical error".
Yea that was pretty useless info, sorry been a crazy day.

Critical the volume extb(ZFS) is UNKNOWN

danb35

Hall of Famer
Critical the volume extb(ZFS) is UNKNOWN
OK--yes, that's normal. You can clear it by clicking in the checkbox just to the left of the message.

rwslippey

Contributor
OK--yes, that's normal. You can clear it by clicking in the checkbox just to the left of the message.

Ok , now I feel better. Thanks for your help. I was just a bit scared I might have made a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.