Crashplan on freenas 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I got it to install in a jail manually and even made a write up but couldn't figure out how to kdload linux cleanly after a reboot. So it is possible and works quite well but won't work after a reboot without user intervention. Because of this crashplan is the only plugin I actually use and the rest are jails.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Have they broken CP again with another update? .... mine hasn't connected in 4 days.

Jason Fayre

Dabbler
Hello,
My Crashplan desktop app has updated to version 4.2.0. The server on FreeNAS is no longer starting. I have edited the run.conf as mentioned but this does not help. Has anyone seen a recent pproblem with crashplan?

Tharp94895

Cadet
Hello,
My Crashplan desktop app has updated to version 4.2.0. The server on FreeNAS is no longer starting. I have edited the run.conf as mentioned but this does not help. Has anyone seen a recent pproblem with crashplan?

I'm seeing the same problem. My plugin will not start.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Where in the Crashplan setup on your PC do you see the choice to backup to a folder on the network? Not even a mapped network drive appears. It's not supported. However, I understand that there are workarounds which make it possible.

chosenken

Cadet
I was having the same issue, Crashplan was not backing up to my Freenas instance. Turned out I was out of disk space, it ran into the quota I set for it, but didn't gracefully handle it. What I had to do was log into the freenas crashplan using the Crashplan UI and configure the destination allotted space to a specific GB size(automatic didn't seem to know what to do with the disk quota, it hit it then just died). Then I removed the quota in freenas on the dataset and then retry the backup(with the quota in place it was able to start maintenance). Crashplan then proceeded to verify the backup and prune the old version. Its estimated time to prune is around 12 hours for 3.5 TBs, so it should start backing up soon.

Check if you have a disk quota setup and if you hit it, thats what happened to me! Version 4.2.0 of crashplan seems to work fine.

theaddies

Contributor
My crashplan was working great and recently it has stopped. I get the message "Unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?" in the backup GUI. I have run the sockstat -l command and have lots of Java running on ports 4243. I would love to get it working again. As far as I can tell something changed and it broke itself. The GUI version is 4.3.0.

theaddies

Contributor
Many thanks danb35. I will try tonight, but it definitely looks like the problem.

Macom

Cadet
Hi all, I am coming a long way. Finally I got crashplan running on freenas, but now I have an issue with the CrashPlan App (4.3.0). When trying to open the app with my credentials I get the message "unable to connect, check network".
I edited the ui.properties with the IP of the CrashPlan jail.
Anyone any idea what is wrong?
Thanks

marcevan

Patron
Hmm... in similar boat with Crashplan 3.6 plugin and 4.3 Client on Windows machine.

I did follow the steps of updating the ports and IP addresses but I get no java processes on sockstat -l

I get one python2.7 and 4 syslogd so nothing doing for java.

service crashplan stop gives this:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/crashplan: WARNING: no shebang line in /usr/bin/cpuset
Stopping CrashPlan Engine ... /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/Crash
PlanEngine: line 145: kill: (28615) - No such process
OK

But I get a clean start of service crashplan start [Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup]
and then have to turn it on in the GUI plugins.

Also noted the fix for getting the private key but I have no .ui_info file in /var/lib/crashplan. Just a .identity file that is 2160 bytes of a hash key.

So now my Windows Crashplan 4.3 times out loading the engine but I've got those 2 problems preventing me from proceeding.

mattlach

Patron
Personally I didn't want to mess with jails.

I created a Ubuntu Server Guest VM that mounts NFS shares to my FreeNAS box, remounts them in userspace using ENCFS reverse encryption (because I don't trust any service where I am not the sole holder of my encryption key, and in crashplan, the key resides on their servers).

The linux version of the Crashplan server then runs in the Ubuntu VM and syncs the pre-encrypted data to the Crashplan servers.

The only downside to this is that if I ever want to restore just one file, or a couple of files from Crashplan, the directory structure is an encrypted mess. There are ways around this, but they are time consuming.

Either way you set this up, Crashplan likes to use a lot of ram for its backups. It's recommended 1GB per TB of data to back up. (I think this is because it does block based deduplication locally before uploading). Toy have to edit a config file to increase the max amount of ram you let the Java instance use if you ar ebacking up more than 1TB of data, or it is likely to crash.

See this link for further details.

I currently have over 8TB backed up to Crashplan. It's one hell of a deal in cloud backups. I just hope I never have to do a restore, as it will take... a while...

fracai

Guru
Just one note regarding your use of Crashplan. There are three ways you can protect your data.
CrashPlan offers three options for securing the archive encryption key for your backup. The answer depends on your Archive Encryption setting.
  • Standard encryption (default): When you install the CrashPlan app, an encryption key is securely generated for your account. The key is escrowed on Code42's servers for authentication during web restores and installations on new devices.
  • Archive key password: The key generated by the CrashPlan app is secured with a secondary password, known as your archive key password. Only the secured key is stored on Code42's servers for authentication during web restores and installations on new devices.
  • Custom key: The original encryption key generated by the CrashPlan app is replaced with an encryption key you choose. Code42's servers never escrow the encryption key when using a custom key. This means that if you lose or forget your encryption key, your backup data cannot be restored and our Customer Champions cannot assist with recovery.
A quick way to generate your own key is with:
Code:
dd if=/dev/random bs=56 count=1 | base64

This doesn't help any if you don't trust the claim that the key stays on your client, but if you do trust them you can avoid the EncFS steps.

Zaq

Cadet
Hi All... I've managed to get the Crashplan plugin installed and over the course of the past day or so, it upgraded to 4.4.1, which is in sync with my CrashPlan Client. I've gone through the steps to connect to the backup service via a remote client, which is working great. The issue I'm seeing is that the service continues to get disconnected from CrashPlan Central. I've tweaked the run.conf memory allocation, cleared the cache, and verified I can access CrashPlan Central via telnet on port 443.

The History log shows lots of "... The backup destination was disconnected"... errors.

The attached images show that the client connection is working and that the engine is able to connect and start the file synchronization. That process never completes, however as the connect is reset.

In the services log, I'm seeing quite a bit of the following:

[11.04.15 13:26:17.333 INFO Thread-595 om.backup42.service.AppLogWriter] WRITE app.log in 18ms
[11.04.15 13:26:17.754 INFO ystemWatcher ode42.messaging.nio.MessageQueue] MW:: STATS:UI : numWorkers=2, queue.size=0, MessageQueueStats[num=0, numSinceLast=0, handling=C
ounter[count = 0, rate = 0.00, rollingRate = 0.00], waiting=Counter[count = 0, rate = 0.00, rollingRate = 0.00], workload=1.000]
[11.04.15 13:26:21.773 ERROR DefaultGroup g.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager] IOException in ConnectionLifecycleManager:, java.net.SocketException: Host is down
STACKTRACE:: java.net.SocketException: Host is down
at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:246)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:197)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:174)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.MessageProvider.openRemoteSession(MessageProvider.java:294)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerConnector.connect(PeerConnector.java:180)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerConnector.connect(PeerConnector.java:97)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.doConnectRemotePeer(PeerGroup.java:398)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.doConnectRemotePeers(PeerGroup.java:364)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.access$300(PeerGroup.java:78)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup$ConnectWorker.run(PeerGroup.java:1100)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[11.04.15 13:26:21.773 WARN DefaultGroup .code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup] PG::DefaultGroup PeerException attempting to connect. RemotePeer-[guid=683814137023168618, stat
e=CONNECTING, mode=PRIVATE, location=192.168.0.101:4242, public=66.68.167.195:0, transportPbK=X509.checksum(dec2c7da1f48ae2b2f0958afdceba287), transportPbKRequestable=fals
e, connecting=2015-11-04T13:26:21:773, connected=0, disconnected=2015-11-04T13:25:43:553, attempts=2, connectActivity=2015-11-04T13:26:21:773, keepAliveSent=0, minRetry=25
863, retryDelay=0, reflector=na, #nat=0, session=null] e=com.code42.peer.exception.PeerException: IOExcepton opening remote session. guid=683814137023168618, remoteLocatio
n=[[683814137023168618@192.168.0.101:4242], transportPbK=X509.checksum(dec2c7da1f48ae2b2f0958afdceba287)], timeout=10000, java.net.SocketException: Host is down
[11.04.15 13:26:23.774 ERROR DefaultGroup g.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager] IOException in ConnectionLifecycleManager:, java.net.SocketException: Host is down
STACKTRACE:: java.net.SocketException: Host is down
at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:246)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:197)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.ConnectionLifeCycleManager.connect(ConnectionLifeCycleManager.java:174)
at com.code42.messaging.nio.MessageProvider.openRemoteSession(MessageProvider.java:294)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerConnector.connect(PeerConnector.java:180)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerConnector.connect(PeerConnector.java:97)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.doConnectRemotePeer(PeerGroup.java:398)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.doConnectRemotePeers(PeerGroup.java:364)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup.access$300(PeerGroup.java:78)
at com.code42.messaging.peer.PeerGroup$ConnectWorker.run(PeerGroup.java:1100)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any help or advise?

Attachments

• waiting for a connection.png
    waiting for a connection.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 219
  • synchronizing file info.png
    synchronizing file info.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 215

airhead

Cadet
A few post indicated CP does not support backup to CIFS resource hosted by Freenas, can anyone expand on this issue ?
If this is TRUE I expect CP can't backup files to any SAMBA server, this sound very unlikely to be valid ? any comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.