Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kefner

Cadet
Hello to all-

I just recently setup an older desktop computer to be a FreeNAS until I could get my newer parts in and recover data from my Windows Home Server that just recently lost it's primary partition.

Everything had been going great until sometime today when I came back home and was presented with a "Fatal Trap 12" in kernel mode. I rebooted the machine and it wouldn't escape that trap.

I rebooted again and physically disconnected the HDD's. The system booted right back up and was up for 2 hours w/o issue. I shut down and reconnected one of the HDD and it went right back into Fatal Trap 12 again.

I disconnected that drive and reconnected the other drive. The box lit right up and everything was grand again.

Thinking I was on the right path I shut down and tried to connect the other drive again, was presented with Fatal Trap 12 again. Shutdown, and disconnected fearing I just lost that drive.

After rebooting again, the screen just started scrolling with text and the 'good' drive I previously was able to connect now was clicking and the screen was scrolling.

I was able to get the system up again, this time both drives are reading errors under S.M.A.R.T and when I tried to run a Long Scan, the whole system locked up again.

I'm looking at roughly 2 TB of data lost, some with very important info.

I read a thread about rebooting into Logger and setting the drives for a read-only mode. I'm thinking I might have one shot only at trying to recover data, if any at all, and I want to make sure I attempt the correct thing.

I have NO clue about 'nux systems. I have a strong working knowledge of computers but only just started on the 'nux and FreeNAS paths.

I know I'm a total noob to all this and I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of 'you're screweds' but I'm hoping there is one person on here that could walk a noob through this.

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry for long thread, I'm just at wits end...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hardware specs? Maybe some stuff as requested in the forum rules? ;)

You aren't screwed yet.. ya noob. ;) But, need info before I can do much help...

gpsguy

Chris, please provide the information that cyberjock requested.

Leave your system off until further notice.

Kefner

Cadet
Sorry for not reading that first...

Specs:
CPU - P4 3.0 ghz
RAM - 1GB in 800mhz (2GB if I turn off HT)
MOBO - Abit IC7-G
HHD1 - Seagate 1.5 TB Barracuda
HHD2 - Seagate 2 TB
DLINK NIC (I can pull the model number if needed)

I'm using the onboard SATA connectors.

I know this is below the latest system specs, but was hoping to get a stop gap until I could order the new parts next month. Again, it was all working great and still does (without the drives).

The system is powered down, and I can hold off on powering anything back up if hardware (getting the newest) is the best course of action.

This is also for a home environment not enterprise.

Thanks again,

Chris

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I'm not sure how HT affects the amount of RAM you have, but you should have 8GB of RAM *minimum* for systems with ZFS and 2Gb of RAM *minimum* for UFS.

I will tell you that if your RAM is only 2GB total and you are using ZFS, your chances of seeing your data again from fatal traps on bootup is pretty close to zero. I do offer data recovery services. Send me a PM if you want to talk.

Kefner

Cadet
Yeah when I read previous threads I noticed that part.

Is it possible to build the new system, then drops those drives into a properly spec'd system and retrieve?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not likely. I'll answer your PM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.