Correct tunable to reduce out of control scrub CPU usage (z_rd_int)?

Stilez

Guru
I've got a 4 core CPU + 256 GB RAM, and scrub on 2 pools is leaving almost no resources at all for user activity. SSH and Web UI sessions cant connect, the shell prompt and console key presses take around 3~12 seconds to appear after keys are pressed, nice --5 doesnt seem to help. It's not RAM starvation as top says it's got 115GB free.

Pausing scrub fixes it immediately, but I need scrub to be able to work in the background so it's not really a solution.

Top says its related to z_rd_int, and there are threads on Google saying that indeed this can max out CPU. But I can't find a thread that says, specifically, on FreeBSD, how to tune it back under control. The only relevant tunables I can find seem to be vdev.scrub_max_active (amount of simultaneous IO that scrub can issue, as z_rd_int sounds like scrub IO) and sync_taskq_batch_pct which controls max % of CPU the queue can use. They don't seem to be helping.

So I swapped the 4 core Xeon for an 8 core Xeon and immediately scrub now wants to consume 100% of 8 cores not 100% of 4 cores. Great win!

The server is totally idle otherwise - no local tasks, no client use, other than a console session and scrubbing.

Any suggestions as to which tunables might be encouraging this excessive resource use, or able to bring it under control, would be really helpful.

IMG_20200811_101932 v2.jpg

(8 core / 16 thread Xeon)
Mostly free CPU is 0.0%, this is a rare time its nonzero at 0.4%​

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Stilez

Guru
Doesn't help.
I've tried all tunables I can find that could bring scrub under control without affecting other operations. Right now I'm at:

vfs.zfs.vdev.scrub_min_active=0 (down from 1, essentially allowing it to do nothing)
vfs.zfs.vdev.scrub_max_active=1 (down from 2)
vfs.zfs.scan_vdev_limit=50000 (down from 40M)

and it's still using 100% of an 8 core Xeon v4 for scrub to the point that WebUI, SSH and largely, keystrokes in the console, fail or are greatly delayed.

Probably because scrub controls focus on I/O, not the implied CPU hashing/checksumming demands??

Any ideas appreciated

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Doesn't help.
I've tried all tunables I can find that could bring scrub under control without affecting other operations. Right now I'm at:

and it's still using 100% of an 8 core Xeon v4 for scrub to the point that WebUI, SSH and largely, keystrokes in the console, fail or are greatly delayed.

Probably because scrub controls focus on I/O, not the implied CPU hashing/checksumming demands??

Any ideas appreciated
My main system doesn't even break a sweat ( well, the disks get hotter) when doing a scrub... CPU is quite low and the system is perfectly usable throughout the process (nearly 18 hours these days).

I note you use the same HBA as I do... LSI 9305-24i (PCIe 3.0) IT mode, no boot/efi

I am running an insanely old firmware on it (just never updated from factory), but I note the thread from @JoshDW19 regarding the lockups of that series of card and the special .12 version of the latest firmware (which is not available for our specific card... at least not yet)... see here:

Maybe there's something linked to that since your card will be under maximum load during a scrub and maybe the resets then cause CPU max in attempts to reconnect and catch up once the card comes back? just a shot in the dark.

Also to note my very old version is not impacted by the reset, so I can't speak from direct experience on it.

Stilez

Guru
My main system doesn't even break a sweat ( well, the disks get hotter) when doing a scrub... CPU is quite low and the system is perfectly usable throughout the process (nearly 18 hours these days).

I note you use the same HBA as I do... LSI 9305-24i (PCIe 3.0) IT mode, no boot/efi

I am running an insanely old firmware on it (just never updated from factory), but I note the thread from @JoshDW19 regarding the lockups of that series of card and the special .12 version of the latest firmware (which is not available for our specific card... at least not yet)... see here:

Maybe there's something linked to that since your card will be under maximum load during a scrub and maybe the resets then cause CPU max in attempts to reconnect and catch up once the card comes back? just a shot in the dark.

Also to note my very old version is not impacted by the reset, so I can't speak from direct experience on it.
Interesting.

Almost all (but not quite all) my HDDs are SAS. There are a few SATA.

# sas3flash -list
Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2017.05.02)
Copyright 2008-2017 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.

Adapter Selected is a Avago SAS: SAS3224(A1)

Controller Number : 0
Controller : SAS3224(A1)
PCI Address : 00:04:00:00
SAS Address : 500062b-2-02f0-4680
NVDATA Version (Default) : 10.00.00.03
NVDATA Version (Persistent) : 10.00.00.03
Firmware Product ID : 0x2228 (IT)
Firmware Version : 16.00.01.00 <---------------- below 16.00.12.00
NVDATA Vendor : LSI
NVDATA Product ID : SAS9305-24i
BIOS Version : 08.37.00.00
UEFI BSD Version : 18.00.00.00
FCODE Version : N/A
Board Name : SAS9305-24i
Board Assembly : 03-25699-02004
Board Tracer Number : SP73907428

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
Exiting SAS3Flash.

I'd like to try it..... it seems a long shot that this is the issue, but worthwhile anyway. But I'm waiting to hear if it affects 9305 as well as 9300 series, and if @JoshDW19 knows of a firmware for the 9305-24i since the resource only has firmwares for up to 16 port cards. So I can't test if that helps, until I have a firmware to flash.

Last edited:

sretalla