SOLVED Core to Scale Upgrade: NFS & iSCSI Fail

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just got bitten by this when I upgraded from TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U6.1 to SCALE 23.10.2.

...8 hours later...

Yes, I read as many release notes as I could and didn't see anything about this. It would be useful if a note about checking NFS Shares was added to the CORE to SCALE migration documentation.

Essentially, if a group or user doesn't exist, and is mentioned in the mapall attributes, then the nfsd will not start, and the exports won't get created, and `showmount -e ip` won't show any mounts.

When you disable a share, that is when TrueNAS Scale will tell you about the invalid parameters... but no error is emitted when starting/stopping the NFS service. Maybe it should be.

It took me a day of tracing and trying every permissions related setting, nfs protcol etc before actually tracking down the issue.

So, in the interests of helping others with their google-fu, the error seen from the Ubuntu VM when trying to mount the share was

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.###.###:/mnt/tank/path/to/dataset

This error actually means the mount can't be found. And you could try mounting any random path and see the same error.

If you try showmount -e <truenas ip>, that will list the mounts exported from your truenas... and if you don't see any, even though it looks like you have a bunch of NFS shares setup, then you probably have this issue.

Disable all your mounts (by clicking the checkboxes), and fix any that the UI complains about... then turn them back on again.

Tada.

In my case, it wasn't the wheel group, instead it was the "www" user/group, that once upon a time was used by a jail, and then a vm appache instance via NFS. And was deleted as part of the SCALE migration. Thus leaving a dangling mapall, on an unrelated share.
In Cobia 23.10.2 and later we have an alert that is generated in this situation.

Stux

MVP
In Cobia 23.10.2 and later we have an alert that is generated in this situation.
This was with Cobia 23.10.2

I only saw an alert after all the troubleshooting, not after the migration, when I finally unchecked the enable checkbox on the unrelated but migrated share that had the issue. I did not see the alert when enabling/disabling NFS while the misconfigured share was already enabled

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This was with Cobia 23.10.2

I only saw an alert after all the troubleshooting, not after the migration, when I finally unchecked the enable checkbox on the unrelated but migrated share that had the issue. I did not see the alert when enabling/disabling NFS while the misconfigured share was already enabled
Feel free to report-a-bug with this info... we would prefer to waste less time with these sidegrades.