BUILD Core 2 Duo ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesy3000

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I'm just in the process of putting together my first FreeNAS build and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding my hardware choice. The main part which I am unsure about is the cpu choice.
The system is only going to be used for document sharing (no media streaming, plugins, etc.) and will only have a small storage capacity. It will also have a maximum of around 5 users with only two using it simultaneously at the most.
The hardware I currently have is the following:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
RAM: 4gb (max allowed for motherboard)
Storage: 2x Seagate 250GB in RAID 1 (only need a small amount of space as it will mainly consist of word documents, spreadsheets, etc.)

Please keep in mind this is for only light home use.
Thanks! :)

8 GB of RAM is the minimum requirements for FreeNAS, and thats not even touching on the whole ECC vs Non-ECC RAM debate. Hardware RAID is also not recommended.

Jonesy3000

Cadet
I've read that there have been quite a lot of people running 4gb no worries? Also FreeNAS actually only states 2gb minimum, with 8gb recommended, which is more aimed at much larger systems I assume? Either way it's more the CPU which I am concerned about.

marbus90

Guru
1. Core2 Duo is old and runs on FSB -> ZFS will be very slow
2. it doesn't support ECC
3. it uses a lot of energy
4. FreeNAS 9.3 minimum requirements are 8GB, the more the merrier.

Conclusion: get a Lenovo TS140 or Dell T20 and drop in another 8GB ECC DIMM for 12GB total. The TS140 solution would cost around $300 and provides bays and ports for 5 HDDs.

Jonesy3000

Cadet
Oh ok, thanks for your help.
Would it be plausible to run FreeNAS 8.3 so that the 4GB is supported?
The main reason I want to stick with this is because I want the build to cost as little as possible.
Thanks again!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The main reason I want to stick with this is because I want the build to cost as little as possible.
Thanks again!
Don't run EOL software. If you need to use this hardware, find another NAS OS. Otherwise budget a few hundred dollars to do things the right way.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

marbus90

Guru
FreeNAS was completely rewritten by ixsystems at version 8. Any version older than that shares its codebase with the nas4free project, which forked FreeNAS <8. Any questions regarding the old versions are best redirected to the #nas4free channel. Apart from the lack of jails/plugins and availability of enterprise support by ixsystems it will probably run better on older and/or non-ECC systems since it doesn't rely on ZFS only.

If you want to stay with FreeNAS: http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/20...design-part-i-purpose-and-best-practices.html

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks again!

I raised the minimum required to from 6GB to 8GB well before FreeNAS 8.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.