SOLVED Realtek 8111c O/B Ethernet Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hknatm

Cadet
Hi there
I am using Freenas 9.2.1.9 with Gigabyte g31m-s2l motherboard, celeron core2 duo,2 gb 800 mhz of ram and red 4 tb x 3 disk with raid 1, stripe. thats why I am not capable of doing zfs. It is a home server to backup time machine and films, my projects etc. So the problem is, my read and write speeds are both 6mb/s over wireless. And with ethernet cable to computer it is 11mb/s. I couldnt solve it. Need your help :/

One more question. I will buy a new motherboard. but i can't find any super micro or some other that you are suggesting. There are foxconn , asus, gigabyte, asrock (low configuration), and some brands that lay low.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Network being capped at 11mb/s usually indicates 10/100 networking components. It's either your switch or the NIC in your client. Regarding hardware - look into getting a Dell T20 or Lenovo TS-140. These are usually available in places where supermicro is not.

hknatm

Cadet
Ooo I see, I always tought that it was Gigabit Eth. Okay I will change Nic. And also Dell and Lenovo are expensive to my budget. I will change Nic and go on with Raid 1 for now. Thank you so much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The NIC itself, while absolute crap, is still nominally Gigabit and can do roughly 50% of GbE speeds, at least.

The 2GB of RAM (half the minimum for UFS!) are certainly not helping either.

hknatm

Cadet
@Ericloewe I will upgrade the Rams, board support up to 4 gb. and my total storage will be 8 gb I think it is enough for starting. I will upgrade one by one. and now I got that my o/b is gigabit but i think there is a driver issue; but i can't find the driver.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@Ericloewe I will upgrade the Rams, board support up to 4 gb. and my total storage will be 8 gb I think it is enough for starting. I will upgrade one by one. and now I got that my o/b is gigabit but i think there is a driver issue; but i can't find the driver.

Honestly, you're barking up the wrong tree. None of your solutions have ECC RAM. With your hardware you should look at one of the various Linux NAS distros.

Note that in order to obtain gigabit speeds, you need to satisfy at least the following requirements:
1) Gigabit network card FreeNAS server (which you have).
2) Appropriate cabling - CAT5e or higher (which you probably have).
3) Gigabit network switch
4) Gigabit network card in your client computer

The speed problem is probably due to (3), (4), or both (3) and (4). Wireless speeds can be due to a 802.11G connection in a noisy environment.

hknatm

Cadet
Honestly, you're barking up the wrong tree. None of your solutions have ECC RAM. With your hardware you should look at one of the various Linux NAS distros.

Note that in order to obtain gigabit speeds, you need to satisfy at least the following requirements:
1) Gigabit network card FreeNAS server (which you have).
2) Appropriate cabling - CAT5e or higher (which you probably have).
3) Gigabit network switch
4) Gigabit network card in your client computer

The speed problem is probably due to (3), (4), or both (3) and (4). Wireless speeds can be due to a 802.11G connection in a noisy environment.

Ok! I confess, I am too much newbie to those Nas stuffs :) I was digging up for a week to understand what is going on here , even I have no talent in computing (I am learning some).
I knew that my configuration is not inadequate for freebsd. I want to use time machine as well so I can not use freeness 0.7 versions. I really need help about my system. I need to backup my projects to somewhere. My portable backup is about to die. Could you please help me. I am still in the same spot where I began.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ok! I confess, I am too much newbie to those Nas stuffs :) I was digging up for a week to understand what is going on here , even I have no talent in computing (I am learning some).
I knew that my configuration is not inadequate for freebsd. I want to use time machine as well so I can not use freeness 0.7 versions. I really need help about my system. I need to backup my projects to somewhere. My portable backup is about to die. Could you please help me. I am still in the same spot where I began.
Have a look at running another OS. Freenas is not appropriate for your hardware.

you should have a look at nas4free, open media vault, or just run a plain Linux distro.

hknatm

Cadet
Have a look at running another OS. Freenas is not appropriate for your hardware.

you should have a look at nas4free, open media vault, or just run a plain Linux distro.

what do you suggest at that point, let me tell you my purpose. I need a time machine backup, access from internet, backup all the data, and streaming movies etc. I looked up OMV it seems okay for me. I don't know what to say about Nas4free.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
what do you suggest at that point, let me tell you my purpose. I need a time machine backup, access from internet, backup all the data, and streaming movies etc. I looked up OMV it seems okay for me. I don't know what to say about Nas4free.
I already suggested that you look at those other OSes. Thats what I suggest. FreeNAS is not intended for 'repurposing old hardware'. Nas4Free is the continuation of the OLD .7 version of FreeNAS. The FreeNAS that you see here today is nothing like it was in the .7 days. Completely different code.

If you attempt to rely on FreeNAS to perform on the hardware you have supplied it, you will be in for a sore day when your hardware dies and takes all of your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.