Copy from FreeNas to USB hard drive connected to Win 7 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trey22

Dabbler
Ran a search for backup and read the first 15 pages of posts. Found a lot on rsync and chron jobs and replication, etc., none of which I understand as of yet. I'm just looking for a way to backup the data on it.

From my Win 7 laptop, could I simply open up the FreeNAS mapped drive and copy the folders/data my NTFS formatted external USB hard drive that is connected to my Win 7 laptop? I didn't know if there were any file system or file attribute gotchas to be aware of.

I know this is an extremely manual way of backing up the data, but seems the easiest for me now, since I don't have a 2nd hard drive in my NAS box yet, and have no other computers in the house.

Stephens

Patron
From my Win 7 laptop, could I simply open up the FreeNAS mapped drive and copy the folders/data my NTFS formatted external USB hard drive that is connected to my Win 7 laptop?

Yes, you can do that.

trey22

Dabbler
Thx, I was confused w/ all the info that says you can copy FROM but not TO a NTFS formatted drive... but that seems to only apply when the external USB drive is connected/mounted directly to the FreeNAS machine, not copying over the network.

gpsguy

Correct.

... but that seems to only apply when the external USB drive is connected/mounted directly to the FreeNAS machine, not copying over the network.

One thing you could do, is to download Robocopy from Microsoft and use it. If the files to be backed up already exist on your USB connected drive (from an earlier backup), it will skip those, and only copy what's new. I do this, but backup to multiple hard disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.