Making a backup copy of FreeNAS software for booting from USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

watha

Dabbler
I boot FreeNAS from a USB drive and not the hard drives in my machine. I recently damaged the USB drive. It still works, but I realized that I don't have a backup for it in case it's lost or destroyed. Then I wouldn't be able to boot the NAS box.

Question: How can I make a copy of the USB drive's contents so I can put the files on a backup USB drive? Is this even necessary? Should I just make a new USB drive with FreeNAS on it? How does one handle this? Thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
save frequent backups of your CONFIG....you can do that from the GUI and save it to your computer/dropbox/box/whatever

if your USB dies, make a new one, boot it up, and restore your config

watha

Dabbler
Sounds great. Where do I find my CONFIG? Thanks.

save frequent backups of your CONFIG....you can do that from the GUI and save it to your computer/dropbox/box/whatever

if your USB dies, make a new one, boot it up, and restore your config

watha

Dabbler
For what it's worth, I'm running 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 6694). I see where it's outdated and I should move to FreeNAS 8. How do I do that without messing up my existing backup? Can I just put it on a different thumb drive and get busy?

Thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For what it's worth, I'm running 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 6694). I see where it's outdated and I should move to FreeNAS 8. How do I do that without messing up my existing backup? Can I just put it on a different thumb drive and get busy?

Thanks.

well, if you had read the stickies and rules regarding the forum, you would know that Freenas 0.7.x is not the same as this FreeNAS project...so even if I pointed you to the documentation to read to know where your config is located in the webgui, it wouldnt matter, since they arent even the same OS...

you should probably read and do some searching through the forums about how to migrate from a completely different project to FreeNAS 8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.