Backup data to USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

I recently built a FreeNAS 8.0.4 system but haven't put it in production, since I don't have a backup solution for it yet. RAID<>backup

I'd like to back it up to a USB 2.0 hard disk (2+ that would be rotated off-site).

I did a RT?M, as well as some web searches. Most of what I've found are people trying to backup their bootable flash drive, or importing data from USB.

I'd be willing to reformat the drives with a different filesystem, but having read ProtoSD's "Unofficial FreeNAS 8 FAQ" several times and looking at items #7 & 28. Seeing "Once you have your disk mounted, it should only be copied from, write support to these partition types is considered *experimental* and could corrupt your files." is this still applicable to 8.0.4? I was hoping to be able to rsync locally from the tank to a locally attached USB 2.0 hard disk.

Rather than backup to a locally attached USB drive, should I just copy (or rsync) the data over the wire back to a USB disk connected to my Windows box? I don't have the luxury of another FreeNAS box and I'd like to be able keep a (rotated) backup in my safe deposit box.

TIA, Bill

Kimba

Dabbler
Copying 2 TB to a USB 2.0 external drive will take a long time. It would be a lot faster just mounting a drive in you windows box (or connecting it via an eSata) and just do a straight copy. Depending upon how many more sata ports you have in your box -- mounting a drive in your NAS box and just copying it there will provide some level of protection but you would have to shut it down each time you remove it. You can also use FreeNAS 7.2 and build a NAS box out of junkyard parts (since it only requires 386 MB of Ram) and add a drive, make your backup and remove it. Using FreeNas 7.2 is great and you can add and remove drives very easy.

I know the FreeNas box was out, but I thought I would mention the FreeNas 7.2 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.