Converting case

aufalien

Patron
Hello,

Is there a way to covert a live volume from case sensitive to case insensitive? I'm certain that there are no duplicate file names with mixed case in them.

I'm thinking the answer is no but wanted to ask before I create a new case insensitive volume and rsync. I'd rather replicate but think the case properties will carry over from my case sensitive source volume to my desired case insensitive target volume.

From the FreeNAS User Guide under Storage it says

Edit Options: edit the pool properties described in Table 9.2.8. Note that the Dataset Name, and Case Sensitivity are read-only as they cannot be edited after dataset creation.

Of course, the above is for 11.2. I'm not sure which version you're using. Hopefully that answers your question.

aufalien

Patron
From the FreeNAS User Guide under Storage it says

Of course, the above is for 11.2. I'm not sure which version you're using. Hopefully that answers your question.

Thank you for such a fast reply. However the note says; Note that the Dataset Name, and Case Sensitivity are read-only as they cannot be edited after dataset creation.

I will be running 11.2 by the weekend so no problem on that. Currently at 11.1.u6.3.

aufalien

Patron
Actually, to keep things fresh, I'll simply create a new volume and replicate to it. My current volume has been around since the 9.1 days so a fresh volume would be nice.

Thank you for such a fast reply. However the note says; Note that the Dataset Name, and Case Sensitivity are read-only as they cannot be edited after dataset creation.
Ah, sorry perhaps I misunderstood your question. Was it not about dataset case sensitivity?

aufalien

Patron
Well, I was hoping to convert a production dataset from case sensitive to case insensitive.

This is not allowed which is logical to me. So instead I've created a new dataset which is case insensitive and will replicate to it.