"Consumer" SSDs for SOHO/SMB NAS?

oguruma

Patron
An organization (10ish active employees/volunteers) I affiliate with wants to move some of their stuff from various VPSes to a single on-premises box.

They're leaning towards Proxmox, but I suggested they consider TrueNAS scale, depending on when it leaves Beta, since they already have a NAS that uses TrueNAS, and their admin is familiar with it.

They have a VPS they use as a webserver for SuiteCRM, one for Nextcloud, and one for some web app that I'm not familiar with that runs in Docker. All tolled, I think the VPSes comprise something like 500G of storage.

For their array to install the VPSes on, would something like 4x 500G/1TB "Consumer" SSDs in either Mirrored VDEVs or RAIDZ2 provide enough fault tolerance, even though the "Consumer" SSDs have less endurance for a small setup with something like 10 users?

Morris

Contributor
Your question is application dependent. Lots of reads are fine, a few writes are also fine.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
would something like 4x 500G/1TB "Consumer" SSDs in either Mirrored VDEVs or RAIDZ2 provide enough fault tolerance, even though the "Consumer" SSDs have less endurance for a small setup with something like 10 users?

You know, I've talked enough about this over the years that you'd think it'd rank higher in the search results.

The number of users and the size of the setup have nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

For virtual machine usage, you really want mirrors. If you are troubled about reliability, three-way mirrors are a good option.

Here's a thread where I seem to touch on relevant issues.