Hardware reccomendations for low power build for ESXI data stores

luigi123mad

Cadet
Hi there,

I am currently planning a homelab both as a testing environment for learning Active Directory, Linux, Docker etc. and to host some things like plex, VPN and a Wiki.

The current plan is to purchase a server like an r730 as an ESXi host and have a separate rack mounted server running TrueNAS Core. The NAS will most likely have 2 or 3 SSDs for boot drives for the VMS, and 4 -5 4TB Hard drives for general VM Storage.

Since the NAS is not being used as a general file server and rather is going to be acting as a datastore for various VMs that are running 24/7, will this limit my choices of CPUs / MOBOs? I have had a read of the hardware reccomendation pdf and it seems that a Xeon line processor would be best for my build but they tend to have high TDPs compared to something like the i3-8300 reccomended in the pdf.

I found a Supermicro X10SLM-F with a Xeon E3-1231V3 for a decent price but I'm not sure if it fits my needs.

Any reccomendations for CPUs and MOBOs are much appreciated. (Also I think consumer grade hardware is frowned upon here, but let me know if it's viable)

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
will this limit my choices of CPUs / MOBOs?

Not really. For a high performance server, you would probably want to avoid E3 Xeons because they have limited RAM, which is valuable to have when serving block storage -- you may find it preferable to have 64-128GB of RAM especially if you want to add L2ARC, and the E3 memory limits preclude this.

I have had a read of the hardware reccomendation pdf and it seems that a Xeon line processor would be best for my build but they tend to have high TDPs compared to something like the i3-8300 reccomended in the pdf.

You may have a misunderstanding of TDP. TDP is simply how much power you might need to be able to dissipate, and plan for cooling. There's a lot of confusion about this with people mistaking high TDP parts as "power hungry" parts, and while there is some sort of relationship, it's important to remember that a high TDP part tends to get its work done more quickly, and therefore returns to an idle state more quickly. This often turns out to be more efficient than a low TDP part, which has to spin up to its maximum capacity and run at that maximum capacity for a longer period of time to complete the same amount of work, using more power in the process.

There are lots of hardware recommendation threads so I don't know which of them you're looking at.

Also I think consumer grade hardware is frowned upon here, but let me know if it's viable

The reason "consumer grade" hardware is frowned upon is because it isn't suitable. There's a lot of angst about "server grade" boards amongst newbies, because they don't understand what they're looking at, but you buy a "server grade" board for a server for the same reason that gamers buy a "gaming grade" board for gaming -- it's optimized for the task. A server grade board comes with stuff like Intel ethernet controllers instead of Realtek, ECC support, IPMI/BMC control over the network, etc. There might be a slight price premium for the "server" board over a cheap "consumer" board, but it pays off.