PCI NVME for ESXI.

Grinas

Contributor
Hey,

So I asked this question on the Vmware forums and never got an answer. This isn't really a truenas question but said i would ask here anyway.

So I am currently running Truenas as a VM in ESXI 6.7. All the VMs run on a NVME. Unfortunately my server Dell T20 can not boot from a NVME so it boots ESXI from a USB and then the VMs run off a NVME connected via PCI adapter.

The problem I am having is the latest version of ESXI 7 does not recognise my PCI adapter. Id like to be on the latest ESXI version if possible does anyone know of a work around or any other options.

thanks for any help or suggestions

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What's the PCIe adapter? Just a passive card (no chips)?

ESXi 7 got a lot pickier about hardware for several reasons, one of which was that it dropped the Linux kernel driver compatibility layer. In many cases, you just have to replace the hardware. That seems less-likely for an NVMe device, but it is still possible, especially for off-brand devices.

Grinas

Contributor

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is there a list of support PCIe adapters.

Probably not. VMware doesn't usually go out of their way to support cheap generic whitebox hardware. But if it's a passive card, the issue is much more likely to be tied up in PCIe bifurcation support or the NVMe controller in use.

Grinas

Contributor
Probably not. VMware doesn't usually go out of their way to support cheap generic whitebox hardware. But if it's a passive card, the issue is much more likely to be tied up in PCIe bifurcation support or the NVMe controller in use.
my server doesnt support PCIe bifurcation if it did i would have 4 NVMEs in raid.

it seems i dont really have any options so.

thanks for the response.

Grinas

Contributor
after seeing that card is >€200 i think ill give it a skip.