New build hardware help - motherboard/cpu specifically

I'm planning out a new build. My previous one decided to stop booting when I moved. Turns out the motherboard crapped out on me.

Previous build was:

Although this build treated me well previously, I'm looking to upgrade to something beefier, and I'd like to have something capable of being in the 256GB-512GB of RAM range. Ideally, single CPU if possible. I'll be adding a 40Gb NIC (maybe 2) down the road to this build as well.
I am going to replace the WD Black drives, I know they're not particularly ideal but it's what I had at the time. I'll reuse them until I get something better. My chassis also supports 16 3.5" drives, I will be maxing that out.
I will also, in the future, be adding NVMe drives to add to this chaos (hence 40Gb networking)

My use case is for my homelab. I had iSCSI setup, round robin over the quad port NIC, to use as an ESXi datastore. At the time I ran the previous build, I had one ESXi host.
I now have 4x ESXi hosts, and my overall hardware for compute/ram resources is 44c/88t and 208 GB of RAM.
These hosts will be upgraded to having a 4x10Gb NIC per host.

The sole purpose of this build is handling ESXi datastores, and doing so as fast as I can make it. I have a separate system (still running TrueNAS :) ) for my general NAS.

I test automation, and run various things, so I'm looking to go beefy if I can.

As far as cost goes, for CPU/MOBO/RAM, I'd like to stay around 1k (But I honestly don't know how realistic that is...). I'm open to starting with less RAM to fit that budget, and adding more later.
Am I looking for a board that doesn't exist? I'm hoping to not have to go to LRDIMMs due to the insane cost on Ebay of them.
I am aware that this is.... pretty overkill. I'm ok with that. My end goal is to really not have storage be a bottleneck. Or at least, reduce the bottleneck here as much as possible.

To quickly recap:

Looking for suggestions on CPU/MOBO/RAM
Single cpu, 256GB-512GB RAM, 1k max(ish)

Networking and disk upgrades I have covered and planned out.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?
If I missed something, please let me know.

Thanks!