Connect RAID 1 volume to my FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafita

Dabbler
Hi.
First, apologies for my bad English.
I'm running out of space in my FreeNAS and I want to connect a new volume. I have a Lacie 2 Quad that I can connect via USB 3.0 to my FreeNAS. The doubt is that the Lacie is in RAID 1 and my FreeNAS is also, and I do not know what to do. Can Lacie RAID 1 be added to FreeNAS RAID 1 and be all in a single RAID 1 volume? What capacity would he have? I currently have 3 TB in RAID 1 on FreeNAS (3 1 TB disks) and 6 TB on the Lacie (2 3 TB disks)

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I currently have 3 TB in RAID 1 on FreeNAS (3 1 TB disks)
Three 1 TB disks mirrored (which would be a three-way mirror) would have a capacity of 1 TB. Those same three disks in RAIDZ1 would have a capacity of 2 TB.

But no, external USB drives are never a good idea to use as part of your storage.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No, not going to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rafita

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. I suppose I have freenas with RAIDZ1 because I have a capacity of 2 TB with 3x1TB.
But that is not the problem.
Why external USB drives are not a good idea?
What can I do with the 2x3 TB of Lacie to add them to freenas?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can remove them from their case and put them in your freenas server. Then add them as a new vdev.

You can't just add an external enclosure to be used in freenas. There is USB issues, enclosed issues, raid issues. It's just a terrible idea and will not work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nojohnny101

Wizard
And if you do somehow get it to work, the let us know so we can sacrifice some drives and pray to the data gods, you'll need it.

As others have said, you best option is to take the drives out of the external enclosure and add them internally.

gpsguy

btw, if you take the disks out of the Lacie to put in your FreeNAS server, you'll need to erase the existing data. FreeNAS uses ZFS.

I removed the drives out of a Lacie a couple of years ago to wipe the drives. It had previously been used with an iMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.