Restoring an old Lacie RAID0

TheJoe

Cadet
Hi everyone, I'm new to TrueNAS, so please be patient... :smile:

I've had like 10 years ago a Lacie external USB 1TB hard drive. One day it stopped working properly and it turns out that the internal electronic was gone (s.m.a.r.t. tests on both disks were OK). Inside it I found two identical 500GB samsung disks that I used to mount as an external storage to retrieve my datas, but nothing were found inside... so I thought the Lacie device was mounting the two drives as a RAID0 to optimize it's speed.

I still have the two disks and never used them. Do you think it's possible to mount them in my HP microserver n40l NAS and get some data back with TrueNAS?

Arwen

MVP
Possibly. But, TrueNAS would not be a good choice. Using straight up Linux would be better.

It would take some experimentation to determine if they were concatenated or stripped. And then if stripped, what block size was used. Perhaps you can even research the device and maybe someone has done that work for you.

Last edited:

AlexGG

Contributor
Do you think it's possible to mount them in my HP microserver n40l NAS and get some data back with TrueNAS?

Probably not. You need a data recovery service (or DIY software if you feel up to it) to extract the data from LaCie, and then put the data wherever you want it to be.

sretalla