Configuration for a company

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxaltzz

Dabbler
Hello,
I work in a little company, and I would like to install a server.
Actually we used the SME server solution, (firewall+gateway+file server+mail server).
Now I want to export the mail on an external service (Google Apps), but I want to keep the firewall/gateway and the file server. For this reasons I go to install FreeNAS 8.
I want to connect on the file server from external with openVPN (not to the workstations).
What is the best/ correct configuration ?

...........................Internet.........................................
................................|...............................................
................................|...............................................
...........................Modem.........................................
.......Firewall+Gateway (pfSense) with openVPN......
...............|................|........................|.......................
...............|................|........................|.......................
........FreeNas......Workstation........Printer.................

or :

...........................Internet.........................................
...........................Modem.........................................
.......Firewall+Gateway (pfSense) with openVPN......
...........................FreeNas........................................
........................|.................|.....................................
........................|.................|.....................................
...............Workstation.....Printer...............................

Thank you

the first one?

i'm a little unclear. in the second one, are the printer and workstation directly connected to the FreeNAS?

the FreeNAS is just another computer on the network. just like the work stations and the network printer. just port forward the desired ports to your FreeNAS box on your gateway, or use openVPN as you listed. if you only want to connect to the FreeNAS box and deny access to the workstations, setup your routing for the vpn to only allow traffic to and from the FreeNAS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.