SOLVED Config back up with and without password secret seed

1kokies

Contributor
Hi guys,

i just want to confirm back up of config

1. With password secret seed means my drives are encrypted
2. Without means my drives is not encrypted

my drives are actually not, so when i save the config i don't really need to save the version with password secret seed right ?

1kokies

Contributor
thanks @dlavigne

still not sure of how and when to use it, but documentation says:

"There are two types of passwords. User account passwords for the base operating system are stored as hashed values, do not need to be encrypted to be secure, and are saved in the system configuration backup. Other passwords, like iSCSI CHAP passwords, Active Directory bind credentials, and cloud credentials are stored in an encrypted form to prevent them from being visible as plain text in the saved system configuration. "

And saving the config with passwords has 2 files, a db file and 'pwenc_secret' file. The config without passwords have 1 file only.

i have never used the config with passwords to upload before and not sure when to use the 'pwenc_secret' file as well.

Appreciate if can elaborate, i am ignorant here.

D

dlavigne

The seed is something that is needed (it's automatically used in the background, not something you have to configure/apply yourself). So, if you are using iSCSI, AD bind creds, or cloud creds, you want to check the box.

1kokies

Contributor
The seed is something that is needed (it's automatically used in the background, not something you have to configure/apply yourself). So, if you are using iSCSI, AD bind creds, or cloud creds, you want to check the box.
thank you very much @dlavigne . ok so if i use the above services ie iSCSI, when i upload config i upload the Data Base File and the system will be back to where i left it. When and where do i need to upload or use the 'pwenc_secret' file? (there are 2 files when if i tick with password). Or i don't need to use it at all ( i assumed since config back up with password seed downloads 2 files, there must be a purpose).

It sounds like a funny question, i just need to be certain, thanks for your patience.

Attachments

• Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 349
D

dlavigne

Correct, you don't use it at all but it needs to exist (be backed up) for those passwords to be automatically decrypted in the background.

1kokies

Contributor
okok good that clears up why there are 2 files, thanks @dlavigne !