Question: Upload config & reset passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinxie

Dabbler
I have rebuilt and upgraded my pool. zfs send/recv worked very well.

Before I started, I saved the config to get back all shares/replication tasks etc.
Now I want to restore the original configuration.
As I did not provide any seed when I saved the configuration, I now got the following warning after i have pressed "Upload Config":
"All passwords are reset when the uploaded configuration database file was saved without the Password Secret Seed."

Can someone give be a hint what "reset passwords" will mean? What will happen after reboot?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have rebuilt and upgraded my pool. zfs send/recv worked very well.

Before I started, I saved the config to get back all shares/replication tasks etc.
Now I want to restore the original configuration.
As I did not provide any seed when I saved the configuration, I now got the following warning after i have pressed "Upload Config":
"All passwords are reset when the uploaded configuration database file was saved without the Password Secret Seed."

Can someone give be a hint what "reset passwords" will mean? What will happen after reboot?
You will have to specify passwords for all of the accounts on your system.

trinxie

Dabbler
Will the root password be cleared (like no password?)
Who wants to setup all account passwords after an import of the config?

According to the help guide :
"User account passwords for the base operating system are stored as hashed values, do not need to be encrypted to be secure, and are saved in the system configuration backup. "
I interpreted this as passwords do not change.

My conclusion is that "Export password seed" always needs to be checked to be able to import the configuration back without any manual interaction such as setting passwords.

Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.