Compression despite deactivated compression level

Skywalker

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I have a question about compression of files in TrueNAS. I have created different datasets with different compression levels. On one dataset I deliberately disabled compression and still the files were reduced by about 5% by ZFS i.e. compressed. Does ZFS still do an internal minimal file compression despite disabled compression?

many thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Are you talking about files that were already there when you turned off compression? (those will remain compressed).

Skywalker

Dabbler
Are you talking about files that were already there when you turned off compression? (those will remain compressed).
No, in the first step I created the dataset, then deactivated the compression and only then copied the file to the dataset

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
And how exactly are you determining that the compression is happening?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't think that's a good way to compare... are you even sure you're measuring MiB to MiB (not MB)?

In any case, you're talking about 2 different filesystems and how they report filesizes... won't necessarily be the same for the same file(s) due to record/block sizes and other things like file table allocation and padding.

Skywalker

Dabbler
I don't think that's a good way to compare... are you even sure you're measuring MiB to MiB (not MB)?

In any case, you're talking about 2 different filesystems and how they report filesizes... won't necessarily be the same for the same file(s) due to record/block sizes and other things like file table allocation and padding.

I must admit that I was a bit confused by the information within the system. Are we talking about mebibytes or megabytes in the system information?
On the website: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/truenas/11.3-U3.2/tn_intro.html
under point 1.3.7 it says "like M or MiB for megabytes or G or GiB for gigabytes".
also in my book FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS the author always talks about megabyte and never about mebibyte when evaluating with commands (in the display it says e.g. 2M and he says 2 megabyte)

what exactly is correct now?

sretalla