religiouslyconfused

Contributor

djdwosk97

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

djdwosk97

Patron
It generally pays off to look at the stickies, particularly under Help and Support/Hardware. You'd have found this:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-supermicro-x10-lga1150-motherboards.23291/
Thanks.

I also read somewhere that Asrock's Q87 board supports ECC memory but doesn't actually take advantage of any of it's features, is that true?

p.s. does FreeNAS benefit much from dual channel memory? (If I decide to go with Skylake I can get a 16gb stick leaving extra room to expand in the future)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I also read somewhere that Asrock's Q87 board supports ECC memory but doesn't actually take advantage of any of it's features, is that true?
That's ASRock having a weird definition of "supported". Of course it's going to work in almost every board. The ninth DRAM IC is just left hanging and the module operates as non-ECC.

By that definition, almost any board will "support" ECC.
By my definition, you need to do more than just validate some ECC DIMMs to say that you support ECC.

*sigh*

p.s. does FreeNAS benefit much from dual channel memory? (If I decide to go with Skylake I can get a 16gb stick leaving extra room to expand in the future)
Not nearly enough to merit going with 2x 8GB over 1x 16GB. I'm doing 1x 16GB on my new server, even though I don't expect to need more than 32GB anytime soon.

djdwosk97

Patron
That's ASRock having a weird definition of "supported". Of course it's going to work in almost every board. The ninth DRAM IC is just left hanging and the module operates as non-ECC.

By that definition, almost any board will "support" ECC.
By my definition, you need to do more than just validate some ECC DIMMs to say that you support ECC.

*sigh*

Not nearly enough to merit going with 2x 8GB over 1x 16GB. I'm doing 1x 16GB on my new server, even though I don't expect to need more than 32GB anytime soon.
Alright, well I'll still probably be going Haswell since it's $50 cheaper for not much less performance and I hopefully won't need more than 32gb of RAM before I just rebuild the whole thing at some future point.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Then again Haswell CPU's do not support ram sticks over 8GB.

djdwosk97

Patron
Then again Haswell CPU's do not support ram sticks over 8GB.
Short of paying a fortune you can't really get 16gb ddr3 dimms either. I was talking about going skylake in order to use 16gb ddr4 dimms.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Skylake is great, and I am thinking of going to that platform, but the boards are much more expensive compared to X10 (haswell boards). Though they are pretty feature packed.

djdwosk97

Patron
Skylake is great, and I am thinking of going to that platform, but the boards are much more expensive compared to X10 (haswell boards). Though they are pretty feature packed.
Skylake is about $50 more expensive than has well almost across the board and doesn't offer much outside of a marginal IPC increase and ddr4 support (the latter only really being relevant due to larger dimms).

Status
Not open for further replies.