Cloud Sync task; triggered by content change instead of schedule?

BlueMagician

Explorer
Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has been resolved or discussed elsewhere - but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

I currently have Cloud Sync jobs/tasks sent to a Google Drive target; configured in TrueNAS GUI, set to run on a daily/weekly time-based schedule. This works fine of course.

However I've now started using TrueNAS as a local SMB storage target for a CCTV NVR system - with notable activity being saved as video files split into 10 second chunks. So, I wondered if it were also possible to have TrueNAS monitor the contents of a particular path or directory, and trigger a cloud-sync only when something changes (ie: as soon as new video clips get saved).

I already have a couple of UPS's to protect against malicious power outages, and a backup LTE modem in case of hard-line cuts etc -- but what I can't prevent is someone actually stealing the NAS... So it would be wonderful if there were any way to get these files sent up to cloud storage, in as near real-time as possible.

I have fallen down a few rabbit-holes exploring the possibility of doing something with rclone and trying to find the FreeBSD equivalent of something like linux' "inotifywait" tool. I've also considered setting a sync task for every 1 minute - but doing that seems a little excessive (and I assume it may also cause unnecessary API traffic when most of the time no files have changed).

I can't quite complete the puzzle, and I also don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone's already made a perfect one! Any help and thoughts much appreciated.

Kind regards,