Cloud for mac

SharkFPV

Cadet
Hello, just installed TrueNAS on an old mac pro and for now anything is working properly on my network.
I will use this server as storage device for video editing.
When i am at home i can access it from the network option in finder but from another network it doesn't work of course.

So is it possible to access the NAS from the finder on my mac from another network?

I have already done some reasearch but the only option i found is to make a cloud that can be used from google but since i need to use these files directly in da vinci resolve, this isn't an option for me.

Thanks for the replies

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
2 options I would consider:

1. Configure VPN access to your home network. This should (IMHO) be done on your Internet router/firewall.
2. Install Nextcloud in a jail and use your Internet router to expose that to the Internet. Do not expose your entire NAS ...

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Hello, just installed TrueNAS on an old mac pro and for now anything is working properly on my network.
This is an interesting choice of hardware, certainly not common. I would assume that you connected the disk to standard SATA ports on the motherboard and do not use any kind of RAID functionality. Right?
[..] but since i need to use these files directly in da vinci resolve, this isn't an option for me.
This will require considerable network bandwidth in both directions. Also, latency can become a factor.

garm

Wizard
I’ve done this too, horrific power usage and fan noise. It’s a cool machine but a cheap Dell tower server is better in every way