Anybody seeing ACL entries (CIFS share) from Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataMover

Explorer
Hi,

I'm wondering: does anybody see access permissions or ACL entries if connecting from a Mac, using Mavericks) to a CIFS share (FreeNAS 9.2.1.2, share type Windows, permissions Windows/Mac).

Open Finder, connect to share, right click any file or directory and choose Information. In dialog box it always says "You have custom access" - no permissions shown.

Or is it, that I just missed where the documentation says: ...after you have created the share, use a client to change permissions (but use a Windows client, because you can't do it from am Mac).

Yes, from a Windows client (Win7 or Win8), permissions can be viewed and changed. OS X doesn't show permissions in Finder nor in Terminal (ls -le).

Kind regards
DataMover

DataMover

Explorer
Nope.

However there are far less Mac users on this forum than Windows or Linux occupants - at least it gives the impression. So maybe barely anyone notices that there are no permissions shown for CIFS shares. And in the end: the permissions you set - e.g. through ssh and setfacl - are in force wether you see them or not.

What's more: I stumbled upon an article saying OS X can't show NFSv4 ACLs. Instead it will only show you plain unix entries (owner, group, world). Indeed you get these - and only these - plain unix entries shown in Finder by sharing the same dataset through AFP.
(Now, before cyberjock is going to say it ;) : if you share one dataset through CIFS *and* AFP, you should set one share as read-only.)

But if this is just the way it is, at least for the moment, it should be written in the documentation to save new user's time.

D

dlavigne

What's more: I stumbled upon an article saying OS X can't show NFSv4 ACLs. Instead it will only show you plain unix entries (owner, group, world). Indeed you get these - and only these - plain unix entries shown in Finder by sharing the same dataset through AFP.
(Now, before cyberjock is going to say it ;) : if you share one dataset through CIFS *and* AFP, you should set one share as read-only.)

But if this is just the way it is, at least for the moment, it should be written in the documentation to save new users time.

Hmm, I'm not surprised. I'll update the docs in time for 9.2.2. Do you still have the URL to the article?

DataMover

Explorer
Hmm, I'm not surprised. I'll update the docs in time for 9.2.2. Do you still have the URL to the article?

I am not sure if it is this one

and note that netatalk doesn’t support NFSv4 ACLs on anything other than Solaris derivatives currently

See here, and here.

Ah..better late than never: ACL Support (netatalk documenation)

To be more precise: it's a problem / certain configuration of OS X, the netatalk server and a directory service.

Somehow I can't see my AD users on my FreeNAS (9.2.1.3) or log in with an AD account...and don't know why. I don't have any time to investigate the logs at the moment. OD on my cute little OS X server works well with AD and creating mobile users on a family Mac is no problem either. Just FreeNAS.

suhlhorn

Dabbler
I realize this thread is rather old, but it's the only reference to this issue I can find... anywhere.

I just got my shares setup following m0nkey_'s video... very easy. Everything works as expected, but I can't see (or change) any of the file permissions on the CIFS share from the mac finder.

Has any progress been made on this? Either by samba, or apple?

Thanks-
-stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.