Cloud backup recommendations for 2023?

lordvue

Cadet
I've just recently setup my Nas, looking for recommendations for cloud backup to replicate my data for extra precaution. Anything out there that is affordable?
I did a bit of research and most of what I found pointed to BackBlaze b2 or Wasabi, but just by my calculations could be potentially $100 a month if the Nas gets used heavily.

Anything else out there that veteran NAS builders are using? I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations.

NugentS

MVP
storj?

danb35

Hall of Famer
My current answer is to replicate the stuff I really care about to my parents' TrueNAS box using the built-in replication features, but of course that requires you to have access to another NAS and a way to put it on the same network. Google Drive with a business account is, IIRC, $10/mo with unlimited storage. Storj looks intriguing, but iX' history with their heavily-hyped, then quickly dropped, integrations with Asigra and Nextcloud would make me wary.

NugentS

MVP
I backup to a friends TrueNAS, and he to mine. Its a lot cheaper than cloud

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
At less than 100€ per month you can get a dedicated machine with 4x 16TB HDD at hetzner.com. Might be worth considering for e.g. a small business or some self-employed professional. Install ZFS capable OS - BSD or Linux, replicate with TrueNAS builtin tasks.

Also: tarsnap.com

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have been using OneDrive from Office 365 Family for a couple of years now. Buy the voucher on Amazon when on sale for about 60 Euros per year. Gives me 6* 1 TB. The poor man's "sharding" is a bit of extra effort, but it's a one-time activity.

lordvue

Cadet

lordvue

Cadet
Thanks for sharing everyone. I'm currently testing storj at the moment, really debating between b2 and storj. I would love to be able to replicate to a friends NAS, but at the moment, my friends don't have their own NAS, maybe in the future if a friend builds one I can mention that for backup strategy. I'm thinking about building another NAS or using another old pc, but just with maintenance and having to do setup again. I don't know, might just have to bite the bullet and pay for convenience with cloud.

Whattteva

Wizard
Storj looks intriguing, but iX' history with their heavily-hyped, then quickly dropped, integrations with Asigra and Nextcloud would make me wary.
:grin::grin::grin: I worry (admittedly, to a much lesser extent), CORE would go that way in some not-so-distant feature.

I have been using OneDrive from Office 365 Family for a couple of years now. Buy the voucher on Amazon when on sale for about 60 Euros per year. Gives me 6* 1 TB. The poor man's "sharding" is a bit of extra effort, but it's a one-time activity.
Wouldn't you have to re-obtain that voucher annually? So technically it's a once-a-year activity instead of one-time?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Wouldn't you have to re-obtain that voucher annually? So technically it's a once-a-year activity instead of one-time?
You are right. What I meant was the relatively time-consuming activity of adding multiple accounts to the subscription, if more than 1 TB of storage is needed. The same goes for deciding into which "sub-account" which data should go. Relative to that, the effort of re-entering the voucher is negligible.

It is a bit hacky, especially the "sharding" (which data go into which account). Therefore I would certainly not recommend it universally. And if you have a backup job that needs more than 1 TB, it is probably not really suitable anymore.

trueJack

Dabbler
You are right. What I meant was the relatively time-consuming activity of adding multiple accounts to the subscription, if more than 1 TB of storage is needed. The same goes for deciding into which "sub-account" which data should go. Relative to that, the effort of re-entering the voucher is negligible.

It is a bit hacky, especially the "sharding" (which data go into which account). Therefore I would certainly not recommend it universally. And if you have a backup job that needs more than 1 TB, it is probably not really suitable anymore.
Do you use some type of tool that understands the protocol natively, or do you back up to a Windows host or VM with Onedrive installed and let that Windows host take its time to replicate everything to the cloud? I am doing the latter and considering other options.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I use the built-in Cloud Sync task from TrueNAS Core. No extra tool or configuration needed here.