Cloning FreeNAS - How do I generate a new SSL Certificate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Monster

Dabbler
Hi all,

Ok, so I have a FreeNAS 8.0 box running fine... it's great...

Someone at the client's site has just turned up with duplicate hardware for a second NAS, so I thought I'd send them a ready prepared USB stick for them to plug in and boot from, then I can complete the storage volume creation remotely... :cool:

So, I booted up a test box from the FreeNAS 8.0 CD and loaded up a new USB stick ready to go.

I then took the backup configuration from the client's existing FreeNAS box and used that on the newly created test box so that I could change a few things like network settings, etc.

I noticed that the RSA Private Key & Certificate for the SSL Certificate in the "SSL Settings" screen are now the same as the client's existing box (because I used their backup)...

So, I want to generate a new key...

How do I do that then? I looked for the "generate a new key" button, but couldn't find it :rolleyes:

I found these:

But I'm not sure of the various options - 3DES, number of bits, etc as well as all that stuff about name, email address, etc, etc, etc... all seems a bit over the top to me ;)

The main caution flag for me is that this procedure generates a "Certificate Request", whereas the FreeNAS configuration has a "Certificate" (in addition to the RSA private key)

Am I on the right track here? Going waay too far? Not far enough?

Or... am I breaking things with my "cloning" technique? Will I be falling in to other problems too...?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.