Clone shared directories to FreeNAS, including ACLs

kalero

Dabbler
Hi,

we are trying to migrate all shared directories (each one has different ACLs) from a box to a new FreeNAS box. As they are too many and we also need to set the same ACLs, I was wondering if maybe is there some method to do that.

For instance, let's say we have:

\\ARES (including the shared directories "pdf", "pics", "documents"... and each one has different ACLs for users/groups from our AD)

And need to have the same in \\FREENAS

Any idea about how to do that? Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

we are trying to migrate all shared directories (each one has different ACLs) from a box to a new FreeNAS box. As they are too many and we also need to set the same ACLs, I was wondering if maybe is there some method to do that.

For instance, let's say we have:

\\ARES (including the shared directories "pdf", "pics", "documents"... and each one has different ACLs for users/groups from our AD)

And need to have the same in \\FREENAS

Any idea about how to do that? Thanks.

robocopy

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
More specifically

robocopy \\source\folder \\freenas\destination /E /COPYALL

You may want to peruse the command line switches to determine if you need other ones (such as limiting the number of retries and the waiting period between them, the defaults are rather insane if I recall correctly) as well as modifying the thread count if you plan to run the copy job from a shared resource.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
robocopy can occasionally run into problems directly appying the Windows SD to Samba. Specifically, if the file is owned by a Windows _group_ (i.e. BUILTIN\Administrators). In this case you'll need to adjust smb auxiliary parameters to make set the current user as owner rather than fail the copy job.