clean installation of freenas 9.3 on a new usb sandisk stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivor

Cadet
hi im new here. ive had freenas 9.2 installed on a kingston usb stick and it got all messed up so i bought a new 1 and installed 9.3 on it. its a sandisk 16 Gb.

My query is that i had a raid 5 with 2 internal hdd's and i need to keep all the data as it is family photos. How do i go about mounting these drives without losing data? Thanks

ivor

Cadet
i think i should have posted this in storage. can someone please move it for me

danb35

Hall of Famer
You did not have anything resembling a RAID 5 volume with 2 disks. If you had a UFS volume (RAID 5 or otherwise), you will not be able to use it with FreeNAS 9.3, as support for UFS has been dropped. If you had a ZFS volume, you can use Storage -> Import Volume to access it.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Was the pool formatted UFS or ZFS? Did you save a copy of your config file?

If it's a ZFS pool and you have a copy of your config you should just be able to load the config and reboot and you'll be all set. If it's UFS or you don't have a copy of your config file then you've got some work ahead of you.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
ive had freenas 9.2 installed on a kingston usb stick and it got all messed up so i bought a new 1 and installed 9.3 on it
If you run into trouble, go back to 9.2 and get your system working again, then do a stepwise upgrade to 9.3.

ivor

Cadet
i dont even know if it was 9.2, it was about 3 months ago. i dont have anything saved i dont know what pool ZFS or UFS. i feel helpless and stupid lol. i will play about with export opion

ivor

Cadet
just a heads up. i was able to import volume add a windows share and was able to connect through cifs. Im now copying files to a seperate hdd. when finished i will reformat everything and start over, i will keep notes of everything i do incase i mess up again. Thanks for help

danb35

Hall of Famer
i had raid 5 two hdd mirroring each other. i know that
No, you didn't. Two disks mirroring each other is RAID 1 under the "traditional" RAID levels, and simply a mirror under ZFS. There is no way that the number 5 is properly used to describe a RAID environment that consists of two disks.

ivor

Cadet
Thats why your a FreeNAS Guru. because you know. Im here because i dont know. i had two hdd with the mirror thing going on thats all i know and i have been able to save onto a spare hdd on my windows 8 machine. Problem solved now. time to start over and make more problems. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.