CIFS Shares on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodger

Cadet
Running FreeNAS 8r7546

I have setup a freenas server with one data drive using UFS. I have setup CIFS to share 2 folders named share1 and share2.

On my Windows XP machine i have mapped the network drives and can access them by writing and reading data to them so all is good :)

My only complaint is that in "My Computer" on the Windows XP machine the shares are shown as share1 on 'Samba 3.5.11 (freenas)' and share2 on 'Samba 3.5.11 (freenas)'.

Is it possible to remove the text "Samba 3.5.11" as i could find it in any of the options.

nazzy

Cadet
Under CIFS settings add the line (without quotes) "server string =" in Auxiliary parameters. One could do this in version 7 by leaving the description field blank.

dodger

Cadet
I've added the line to the Auxiliary parameters in the CIFS settings, rebooted the freenas box and deleted and re-instated the network drives but it's still the same. The description box is already blank as that was one of the first things that i did. Thanks for the help though.

I think this has been hardwired into the freenas software somewhere in which a developer will need to remove as i've looked at all the settings and can't see the text Samba 3.5.11 anywhere.

nazzy

Cadet
The above does work. I agree the description field in 8 doesn't work as it did in version 7. Leaving this field blank should yield the same result as "server string =" does in Auxiliary parameters.

Take a look at the following reg entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions

Windows will cache netbios.

1) Clear the name from the above key. (of course backup registry)
2) Running "nbtstat -R" will clear Netbios cache on XP.
3) An XP reboot here won't hurt
4) Do the above and no need to restart the freenas box, just turn the CIFS (samba) switch off, then on again.

dodger

Cadet
Sorry Nazzy, i stand corrected, looking in the registry at the above location and deleting the Samba 3.5.11 did the trick.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.