Can't See Windows CIFS Share

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a newbie to all of this so please bear with me a little...

I have successfully installed FreeNAS 9.3 Stable on a HP DC7900 PC.

I have put in two 320GB discs to get the system up and running and try things out.

Despite following a tutorial or two and also trying the FreeNAS setup Wizard (many times) I can't get the dam thing to work.

Unfortunately it was a couple of weeks ago now when I did all of the above and so some of the detail has faded a little in my mind as to exactly what I did but essentially....

I set up a volume using the two discs as a mirrored pair. I then set up a share ('SHARE1') and gave it guest access. However, I cannot see this share from any other Windows PC on the network. I have tried with Windows 7 and Windows XP machines.

I have tried both setting up users and groups and not setting up users and groups but either way I have had no luck.

I don't want any restrictions I just everybody to be able to see and read / write to the share (full access).

I can see the FREENAS device from other PC's on my network but double clicking on it, or typing \\FREENAS\SHARE1 into windows explorer or 192.168.1.203\SHARE1 all fail and say something like "Windows cannot access \\FREENAS\SHARE1" !!

I have now spent a good 4 to 6 hours on this and am about to give up and try NAS4Free. I hate being defeated and will try again if someone can help point me in the right direction as to what I may or may not be doing wrong.

Most of the reference material on the web is for older versions of FreeNAS so not sure if there are things on 9.3 that I don't know about that I should be doing?

If anyone can point me in the direction of step by step simple instructions to set up a simple Windows share that can be seen by other PC's on my network I would be incredible grateful.

Many thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Factory reset your configuration and follow the manual/wizard. That is probably the best way to actually get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.