CIFS share permissions problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeintexas

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm new to FreeNAS but have many years of experience with Windows server and client systems, so permissions are not new to me. Which is why I cannot understand this issue.

I'm running FreeNAS 8.3.0. All clients are Windows 7 and I am NOT running AD at home. Here's the setup.

I created two users, Mike and Cindy. Mike and Cindy are both in the Wheel group by default
I created a Volume called NAS
I created two ZFS datasets in/under NAS called "Mike storage" and "Cindy storage"
I turned on the CIFS service
I created a CIFS share "mike storage" and pointed it to the "mike storage dataset." Mike is the owner of this share.
I created a CIFS share "cindy storage" and pointed it to the "cindy storage" dataset. Cindy is the owner of this share.

Mike can browse his share and read/write/delete. Cindy can browse her share and read, but NOT write or delete. All property boxes on Mike and Cindy user accounts are identical. I've spent hours on this problem and I've RTFM'd a hundred times. Obviously, I've missed something ,but have no idea what that is.

Would someone kindly point me in the right direction? Thank you!

gpsguy

Caesar

Contributor
you might be having the same problem as I did. there is some weird thing with windows where only one user can access a share. for example if you log into the first share as mike and then log in as cindy, windows will still use mike's account. even tho you typed in the uname and pass for cindy. I discovered this when I set my shares to 777 then created files, and then checked the owners. they were all the same user, the first account I used after rebooting.

Someone else on the forums posted about this issue too and a workaround provided by Microsoft. search for my post and you will find it... I dont have many post since I'm new here.

mikeintexas

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies.

I will try this tonight:
If the root share permissions need to be changed, change them from a Windows client logged in as the Owner of the share through the share's Properties, on the Security tab."

IIRC, user Mike can read/write on Cindy's share, so I SHOULD be able to change the permissions on it as well. What an odd problem. Glad there's a ticket in for it.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try deleting the users and shares (but not the datasets, obviously) and recreate them and see where that gets me. I really don't want to go back to Windows 2003 Server, but I already own a license for it and it works. I really like the granularity that FreeNAS offers, but if I can't get basic file sharing working properly, then I've no use for it. :( We'll see what happens tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.