SOLVED CIFS group permissions on NFS Share - am I screwed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcloadetter

Explorer
I created an Unix based datashare for all my media. I called the account media since all the plugins I use, use the media account. I have everything working with shares, etc, no problem.

media and all my other accounts are part of a group called htpc. (also an account). All my media files are owned as media:htpc, with 775 permissions.

I have a CIFS share created on the media dataset. I mapped the network drive to one of my logged in Windows users and am able to read/browse and even create new files. But it seems I'm unable to edit any files which exist in that share, despite being part of the group.

I also have a couple hosts connect via NFS to that dataset, which are mapped to the media user. (the owner). If I change the owner, but leave the group, which media is a member of, I am unable to delete those files.

It seems to be that group permissions, or perhaps ACLs are too strict somehow? I've not done much with ACLs, so I may be out of my league.

Can this be corrected or do I have to start over?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I created an Unix based datashare for all my media. I called the account media since all the plugins I use, use the media account. I have everything working with shares, etc, no problem.

media and all my other accounts are part of a group called htpc. (also an account). All my media files are owned as media:htpc, with 775 permissions.

I have a CIFS share created on the media dataset. I mapped the network drive to one of my logged in Windows users and am able to read/browse and even create new files. But it seems I'm unable to edit any files which exist in that share, despite being part of the group.

I also have a couple hosts connect via NFS to that dataset, which are mapped to the media user. (the owner). If I change the owner, but leave the group, which media is a member of, I am unable to delete those files.

It seems to be that group permissions, or perhaps ACLs are too strict somehow? I've not done much with ACLs, so I may be out of my league.

Can this be corrected or do I have to start over?

Short answer:
Try the following parameter in your CIFS share config:
"force user = <the owner>"
For instance "force user = media"

Long answer:
Sharing the same dataset with multiple protocols is going to cause problems in the long run. Choose either NFS or CIFS but not both. If needed you can share with a second protocol if it is read-only. Since you have windows users, I would choose CIFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.