CIFS mount accessible for all users?? Unix (Solaris) mounting from FreeNAS 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3mmr

Explorer
I'm not a Windows expert, so I'm probably just being ignorant, still:

I have a file tree, shared using CIFS, in a FreeNAS 9.3.

This needs to be mountable w/o presenting a password or user name from a variety of clients, WD TV Live and Solaris and Windows and Linux, and, once mounted it must be accessible by any and all users on each respective device.

And this regardless of if the resource is mounted automatically at bootup or manually at a specific point in time.

HOW on earth do I configure the CIFS service and the specific CIFS share and how do I go about mounting/writing fstab entries/whatever in Solaris, Linux and Windows (W8.1)???

When I tried, only the user that performed the mount command could access the file tree from UNIX style OSes, I haven't really tried Windows yet....

n3mmr

Explorer
Hmmm. Yes, but I'm unsure how to do this for an existing dataset, i e I have the file tree, it's populated, and now I want to share it as unauthenticated, but it seems not to want to create a share for an existing dataset!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Enable the guest access checkbox in the Share properties:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html#windows-cifs-shares

As for mounting, if a *nix user mounts the share, then only they will have access. If you want available to anyone on that machine, then edit the /etc/fstab to include that share. Specifics will likely vary depending on the specific OS. Just google (mount CIFS {insert OS name})

n3mmr

Explorer
Further: I did create a cifs share for unauthenticated access, a new and empty one, but while Solaris claims to be able to see the share in smbutil view //<address>, when I try to mount the share, Solaris claims that "tree connect failed: syserr = there's no directory or file with that name"

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Sounds like a solaris configuration issue.

n3mmr

Explorer
I'm giving up on this CIFS s--t. :smile:

I tested reading from the dataset using NFS v4 and authorized CIFS, and NFS v4 fills a GBit network to the plimsoll mark and above, while CIFS maxes out at 50MB/s wich is slightly less than half the network capability.

Either would work IRL for the media server setup, but NFS is so much more native in Solaris and v4 over TCP is connection oriented and just as sturdy as anything else.

The N54L won't be able to handle transcoding of HD video so I need to get the data across the network to a transcoder box, hence the need for remote mounting.

n3mmr

Explorer
I could, but I THINK (mind you, haven't tested) that the HP N54L isn't nearly fast enough to handle transcoding in all cases.
Simple remux, and low-Q streams transcoded to other low-Q formats, possibly, but full 1080p HD at true 1080p resolution is a noticeable load on my Supermicro Xeon server.

I think the best way is to let the old Supermicro X7BSi based server do the transcode accessing the media files over NFSv4

Status
Not open for further replies.