Choosing a PSU for large number of drives (not asking which, but HOW)

aerospyke

Dabbler
Hey all,

I'm not asking for help choosing a PSU, i'm asking for your thought processes in choosing a PSU. Not considering quality, efficiency etc etc... more the number of sata or molex plugs (depending if backplane or direct to drive power is used). Is looking at the number of plugs a consideration on those of you who have had to source a PSU requiring 6+ molex plugs for a large backplane, or 16+ sata plugs, or is a look for a modular system with enough peripherals outlets and get custom cables made so you can use enough of those outlets to get you 4 drives per outlet, instead of only half of them like most PSU's get you in the box?

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seasonic + custom cables if you either don't have enough cables or the right lengths of cables is my vote. If it's good enough for satellite modems costing 100-200 grand, it's good for me.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's discussion of this in the Power Supply Sizing post, I believe.

aerospyke

Dabbler
Thanks, i've come to choose this PSU in this case.

Hopefully this all works well for me, as I expand the number of drives in the hotswap bays, i'll have to get some cablemod cables made to power more of the backplane...

aerospyke

Dabbler
awwww nuts, so the best I can find on the info on this chassis, is that it supports EEB... don't know if this is SSI EEB or just EEB, but my motherboard is E-ATX....... miiiiight be a deal breaker on the chassis. Does anyone have experience with this, not specifically this chassis, but the situation of the two formats, i'm going by what I understand that the mounting holes for EATX are EEB/SSI EEB are not the same and so may be an issue.

trueJack

Dabbler
I think you may find that some holes will line up and some will not. You may want to install some additional stand-offs by drilling holes. You could tap these holes if the bottom plate is thick enough, or use nuts on the bottom (if space permits). Youtube has videos.

This thread has some people saying this case is not great, by the way:

aerospyke

Dabbler
Thanks Truejack, that's what I seem to find... or not find... much in the way of hardware in the AUS. The thread you send had a reference to a silverstone case that a) can't find, and b) the replacement, RM-43 is close to supermicro chassies prices from ebay... which I can't afford. This project has a budget that seems to want to have 20% taken by the chassis alone. I will keep hunting for a better deal but I'd like to get this project completed sometime in my lifetime.... and a chassis that requires 10x molex to power is a complete PITA.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I’d vote for a used SuperMicro chassis instead. They offer very large titanium rated power supplies to go with it and they’re redundant too. See 846 and like models.

aerospyke

Dabbler
Thanks everyone. I ended up finding a not ridiculous price on an CSE-846 chassis so this sorted out the PSU problem. Cheers