Cheap Rackmount 8 bay expander chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nindustries

Patron
Just wanted to share this with you guys, don't worry i'm not affiliated with any company.. :)
Just tought this is a nifty little expander chassis for 4 or 8 drives, especially when you can only use a short depth chassis like me. It can be rackmounted or just put on the ground. The case includes a PSU, 2 80mm fans and 6Gbs SAS-interfaces. Enjoy! I'll be keeping on eye on it..

Silverstone RS831S (price unconfirmed)

rs831s-front-open.jpg

scurrier

Patron
Attractive case. I wonder how good the cooling is. From picture 6 I am noting that the fans seem to be oriented opposite based on their red wires, so I'm guessing that one fan sucks and the other blows, moving air from one side of the case to the other across the drives. Doesn't seem ideal but in practice probably works fine. Google's study says drives that stay below 40 degrees have about the same failure rates. I'd expect any actively cooled drive to meet that.

I would worry about a fan going out and not having it be reported. Maybe the dual fans would help with that. Maybe smart monitoring on FreeNAS would handle that adequately?

I wonder how efficient the power supply is. Their manual doesn't quote efficiency in the specs. I find lack of detail in the manual to be a bad sign in general based on experience.

I've always thought that having a separate enclosure for drives via the SAS interface was a smart way to go because that allows you to change the server chassis freely without concern for drive space. I also find the half depth very useful as someone who keeps his network center under the basement staircase in a rack. Are there alternatives to this case in a similar form factor? Perhaps without such an attractive case to save some cost? Maybe more seriously business oriented? I was searching Newegg extensively for these, which their search filtering made very hard, and it seemed like they were costing ridiculous sums of $500+ or way more. Maybe I am misguided in initially thinking this would be less costly. I am very interested in something like this for my FreeNAS build. Please update if you learn more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.